Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Need help with subquestion relevance

• CarbonMatrix
  • CarbonMatrix's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #136524 by CarbonMatrix
Need help with subquestion relevance was created by CarbonMatrix
Hello! Im using lime survey version 2.50.

But I dont know how to use the subquestion relevance.
I created 3 questions:

First Question
The first question is a mutiple short text question.
In this question you need to name 2 to 5 different jobs.
The Question Code is FF1 with the sub question codes 1,2,3,4,5

Second Question
The second question is a dual matrix.
There you have to answer questions concerning the different jobs that were choosen in the first question.
I made a matrix filter here to only show the jobs from question 1 as sub questions.
The question code is FF2 with the sub question codes 1,2,3,4,5 and the answer options: A1,A2,A3,A4 for scale1 and A5,A6,A7,A8 for scale2.

Third Question
In the third question I want to use a multiple choice question that shows the different jobs (sub question codes) from question 2, but only if neither the answer A1 nor the answer A5 is chosen in question 2.
The question code is FF5 with the sub question codes 1,2,3,4,5.

Please help me to fix the problem by using subquestion relevance.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 10 months ago #136527 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Need help with subquestion relevance
It is always good to make it as easy as possible for those to answer. I think I get what you are trying to do, but it takes more time to read through all this. If you would provide a screenshot of what you are trying to do, this is usually a lot quicker.

Could you provide a .lss file with these questions? This also helps because for testing we do not need to rebuild what you have done already.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• CarbonMatrix
More
7 years 10 months ago #136532 by CarbonMatrix
Replied by CarbonMatrix on topic Need help with subquestion relevance
Hey, thanks for your reply! i exportet a question group. You have to create a new survey with the language set at german to import the file. this should be no problem for you since you speak german yourself :)
  • holch
More
7 years 10 months ago #136533 by holch
I do, but it is still easier and quicker for the helpers to have a lss file. A lot less work to help.

Won't be able to look at this now, but maybe tomorrow.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• CarbonMatrix
More
7 years 10 months ago #136534 by CarbonMatrix
Alright. Didn't really know how to create a lss file, but i've got it.
  • holch
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #136619 by holch
So I finally found some time to look at your problem. First I needed to get a grip of your survey. Ideally, to make the work for the helpers as easy as possible, you would delete anything that is not necessary to your problem. So now I had to do this in order to not spend to much time on things that are irrelevant.

So I imported your .lss file, deleted the first group of questions which was completely irrelevant for your problem, was well as around 15 questions from the second question group.

I left only FF0, FF1, FF2 and FF5, which I figure are the only questions necessary for your issue.

I think your problem was that you did not reference the double array responses correctly. You need to tell Limesurvey which of the two scales you are referring to.

I attached the shortened survey. Now in FF5 all Jobs appear that have been inserted into FF1 and in FF2 were not answered with A1 in scale 1 or A5 in scale 2.

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...2153.lss
File Size:30 KB

Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CarbonMatrix
  • CarbonMatrix
More
7 years 10 months ago #136639 by CarbonMatrix
You really helped me out! Thank you very much indeed. :)
I am sorry that you had unnecessary inconvenience because I could not set up the .lss file right (first time using LimeSurvey) :unsure: . If I have a problem with LimeSurvey in the future, I will try to set up the .lss file correctly, so that the helpers have less amount of work to do.
  • holch
More
7 years 10 months ago #136682 by holch
Great that it worked out.

It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is always good to make things as easy as possible for the helpers in the forum. Yesterday night for example I imported 3 different surveys to check them. So any little reduction of work helps the helpers and of course increases the chances that someone is taking over your case. If I only have a little time and the effort to solve the problem seems to be relatively high, I might skip on your question at that time and then there is a good chance that I might not come back a day later.

Now if everything is setup nicely, then there is a good chance that someone takes over the case. Importing a survey and going through it is already a lot more work than simply responding in the forum. So best thing is to make it as easy as possible for the helper. Sometimes you might think: "Why don't they create this example themselfs, it is quick." But you always have to remember, it is first of all your problem. ;-)

And taking into account the time helpers here in the forum spend during their spare time, any reduction in workload can help to either free some time or for helping on more topics. Just to explain why I insist in this.

The lss already helped a lot. But as there were a lot of questions in it it was quite confusing (and your questions were not consecutive, which didn't help either to get an idea of what is going on. Remember, we have never seen your questionnaire design before and need to find our way around quickly.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, tpartner, CarbonMatrix
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 10 months ago #136867 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Need help with subquestion relevance

holch wrote: [...]

This post must be pinned in each sub forum ;).

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose