Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How to change the default captcha ?

• Albinux
  • Albinux's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #176254 by Albinux
How to change the default captcha ? was created by Albinux
Hello,

My Limesurvey version is 2.73.1+171220.

I would like to know if it is possible to change the default captcha that can be placed before the beginning of the questionnaire. For the moment, I have the following captcha:

(Text translation: "Please solve the following equation:")

Unfortunately, I am afraid that this type of captcha is discriminatory for people suffering from innumerism.

I wonder if it is possible to have something "simpler".

Thank you very much for the attention you will give to my request.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 4 months ago #176275 by holch
Replied by holch on topic How to change the default captcha ?
Not out of the box. You would have to create a custom solution.

But: What is the incidence of "innumerism" (I assume this means that people can read numbers or can't solve basic mathematical equations). I have no idea what the incidence is, but this is very basic math that most people should be able to solve. So if you really want to include those, then what are you going to do about those that can't read?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
5 years 4 months ago #176289 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic How to change the default captcha ?
a11y : no captcha … terrillthompson.com/blog/682 even google one is not a good candidate (and it's really a bad candidate for privacy).

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • Albinux
  • Albinux's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #176626 by Albinux
Replied by Albinux on topic How to change the default captcha ?
Thank you both for your answers!

@holch

"What is the incidence of "innumerism" (I assume this means that people can read numbers or can't solve basic mathematical equations)."

About 7% in metropolitan France apparently: www.em-consulte.com/en/article/1204984

"So if you really want to include those, then what are you going to do about those that can't read?"

No research methodology is perfect.

@DenisChenu

I finally opted for a timing of the filling (option available by default). I will define a threshold at which I will eliminate subjects who have completed in less than X minutes. This will allow me to eliminate not only potential bots, but also people who have filled out without reflection. Besides, it saves me the need for a captcha.

Thank you again!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • holch
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #176649 by holch
Replied by holch on topic How to change the default captcha ?
Wow, 7% is a lot! I wouldn't have expected such a high incidence in a developed country like France. Never really thought of this being a big problem compared to illiteracy. But we live in our small bubble where people surrounding us are all on more or less the same educational level and we hardly come in contact with these problems. I have to admit that here in Brazil I was shocked about the mathematical skills of some of our interns (at least 2 years of university - not able to calculate simple % calculations), but I assumed that it was due to the bad educational system here in Brazil.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by holch.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose