Ranking & prioritizing x out of y (y >x) items and making the question mandatory

Mehr
2 Jahre 4 Monate her #123737 von nandan
nandan erstellte das Thema Ranking & prioritizing x out of y (y >x) items and making the question ma
Hello,

I need to create a question wherein the respondent can select and rank some items out of a list of items and also prioritize them. For example, if there are 12 flowers, s/he has to select top 5 flowers of his/her liking. Here, it is important to know which flower is choice No.1, and which is choice no.2 and so on.

But also, it is important for us that the respondent does not skip or accidentally miss out the question.

If a Ranking question is made mandatory, LS asks the respondent to rank all the items. Is there a way in which this can be prevented?

I looked at this thread [url=http://https://www.limesurvey.org/en/community-services/forums/can-i-do-this-with-limesurvey/96451-need-a-replacement-for-ranking-question][/url] and the solution by tpartner and this is closer to what we want. But here also, it breaks when the question is made mandatory.
So, can this be done?

Thanks for your time and help!

Bitte Anmelden um an der Konversation teilzunehmen.

Mehr
2 Jahre 4 Monate her #123738 von holch
holch antwortete auf das Thema: Ranking & prioritizing x out of y (y >x) items and making the question ma
Not sure where the problem is. Just tried that. Using the ranking question, setting minimum answers to 5 and maximum answers to 5 as well, question is mandatory. I can't get through if I have more or less than 5 answers given (Limesurvey 2.06).

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

Mehr
2 Jahre 4 Monate her #123739 von nandan
nandan antwortete auf das Thema: Ranking & prioritizing x out of y (y >x) items and making the question ma
When i try that, I get a strange outcome. I can't choose more than 5 options. But the moment I stop at 5 and try to move ahead (by clicking on the next button), I get the message "One or more mandatory questions have not been answered. You cannot proceed until these have been completed"

And I also get an additional error message "One or more questions have not been answered in a valid manner. You cannot proceed until these answers are valid".

I want to be able to rank only 5 out of 12, not all 12.

Mehr
2 Jahre 4 Monate her #123740 von holch
holch antwortete auf das Thema: Ranking & prioritizing x out of y (y >x) items and making the question ma
As I said, it works fine here. Can't reproduce your problem.

What is your limesurvey version?
What is the template that you are using?
Can you upload the survey with the respective question here so we can check if it doesn't work on our installation?

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.

Mehr
2 Jahre 4 Monate her #123742 von nandan
nandan antwortete auf das Thema: Ranking & prioritizing x out of y (y >x) items and making the question ma
Sure! I will do that. I am on 2.06.

Here's the link:
www.vixita.com/limesurvey/index.php/327347?lang=en

Mehr
2 Jahre 4 Monate her #123743 von holch
With the link, I can see that the problem exists (I believed you before), but I can't do much more (e.g. looking at the settings, etc.).

Mehr
2 Jahre 4 Monate her #123746 von jelo
jelo antwortete auf das Thema: Ranking & prioritizing x out of y (y >x) items and making the question ma
Is the workaround by tpartner applied?
If not, what are the advanced settings of the ranking question?

Which build on 2.06+ ?

If there are no settings which cause the validation problem to submit the survey, it might be a bug. There were some fixes in the last three weeks around ranking. This bug could be introduced with these fixed.

Please upload the ranking-question here.

Mehr
2 Jahre 4 Monate her #123747 von tpartner
tpartner antwortete auf das Thema: Ranking & prioritizing x out of y (y >x) items and making the question ma
If setting minimum and maximum answers, the question should be set to non-mandatory.

Cheers,
Tony Partner
Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Mehr
2 Jahre 4 Monate her #123749 von nandan
@jelo: The workaround by tpartner is applied, but it does not work when the question is made mandatory, same as with the ranking question.

@tpartner: My concern is that if I set it as non-mandatory, people may miss it or choose not to answer it, which is what we don't want.

Thanks!

Mehr
2 Jahre 4 Monate her #123751 von nandan
Also, it is not a bug...the manual states that:

"Please note that if you use this attribute with Ranking questions please set the question to non-mandatory - because when you leave it at mandatory all items need to be ranked which is counter-active to this feature."

This is under 'question types - Ranking > Minimum Answers (min_answers)
manual.limesurvey.org/Question_type_-_Ranking

I am not sure how it is counter-active, but since this is open source, am hoping that there is some way of working around this.

Mehr
2 Jahre 4 Monate her #123754 von jelo
jelo antwortete auf das Thema: Ranking & prioritizing x out of y (y >x) items and making the question ma
So where is your problem? LS validates on Javascript and PHP level. When you set a minimum of five answers in the ranking question, you can set the question to non-mandatory and you're done.
And since you know it is no bug, we can put this case to rest.

Mehr
2 Jahre 4 Monate her #123755 von nandan
Two problems, actually...

First problem: I still keep getting these messages, even if I make the question non-mandatory:

"One or more mandatory questions have not been answered. You cannot proceed until these have been completed"
"One or more questions have not been answered in a valid manner. You cannot proceed until these answers are valid".

Second Problem: At a larger level, the logic of that question type seems incorrect (to me at least). One should be able to choose some options out of many without making the question non-mandatory. Or else, we need a different question type which selects and ranks (in one operation)...

Mehr
2 Jahre 4 Monate her #123758 von jelo

nandan schrieb: First problem: I still keep getting these messages, even if I make the question non-mandatory:

Than why to you already excluded that it can be a bug? I cannot exclude that at this stage.
I asked for the build number and the exported ranking question. I have no crystal ball.

A question can become mandatory via:
1.) Mandatory Option
2.) Validation rules
When you set e.g the minimum answers of a question, that can have the same effect as using the mandatory option directly. Think about a textfield. The mandatory option helps you ensure a filled field without creating a validation rule.
But if you set a validation-rule like "length of text >0" you get the same effect.

Mehr
2 Jahre 4 Monate her #123761 von holch
You need to help us to help. As I said, here it is working and there is no error message (when not setting as mandatory).

Can you upload the .lss file from the link?

Mehr
2 Jahre 4 Monate her #123763 von nandan
@jelo: I am not excluding it or including it. You see, there are two parts to it...One part works according to the manual (mandatory question needs to be ranked completely) - that seems as per the expectation. So this part is most likely not a bug. The second part is that the error messages should probably not show up, but they are...this may be a bug...my earlier reference was to the first part.

I gave the version number earlier, not the build number...here it is: Version 2.06+ Build 150723

@holch: Agreed. Am attaching it here...

Once again, thanks for your time and effort!
Anhang:

Jetzt loslegen!

Melden Sie sich jetzt an, und erstellen Sie in wenigen Minuten Ihre erste Umfrage.

Account einrichten

Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter

Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter für alle Neuigkeiten rund um LimeSurvey
captcha