504 after survey submission with participants/tokens table

More
2 months 1 week ago #173369 by QuoTil
QuoTil created the topic: 504 after survey submission with participants/tokens table
Hi folx,

We're experiencing a major issue after the update to 3.14:

If it is a closed survey with participants/ tokens the submission of the survey ends with a 504. The user never reaches the "Completed View". This LS-behavior is not seen when the survey is open to everybody (without participants table).

Immediate help is needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #173388 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: 504 after survey submission with participants/tokens table
504 : Gateway Time-out

Check your webserver log, can be different things …

Try to activate debug mode, and try with a little survey.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #173392 by QuoTil
QuoTil replied the topic: 504 after survey submission with participants/tokens table
2018/09/03 15:32:29 [error] 19940#19940: *4751 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 10.1.0.27, server: domain, request: "GET /index.php?r=admin/survey/sa/getAjaxMenuArray&surveyid=522165&YII_CSRF_TOKEN=YWFBOWZxUU9NWjdWMFFaTE41azY5eDRmY0FKTE9nNUiwiO1Q6P-cAP8onXWStshcU4Aoem1d58mtI2NP0EG7tA%3D%3D&position=collapsed HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock", host: "myDomain", referrer: "https://myDomain/index.php?r=admin/tokens/sa/browse/surveyid/522165"

Any idea?
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by QuoTil.

More
2 months 1 week ago #173401 by jelo
jelo replied the topic: 504 after survey submission with participants/tokens table

QuoTil wrote: We're experiencing a major issue after the update to 3.14:

1. Which version was used before the update to 3.14?
2. Nginx error. Can you post nginx.conf and tell us a bit about your setup. You can click on the version number at the bottom of your LimeSurvey installation to get systeminfos.

Are you a student conducting a survey? If yes, tell me why you use LimeSurvey?
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/116...y-you-use-limesurvey

More
2 months 1 week ago #173416 by QuoTil
QuoTil replied the topic: 504 after survey submission with participants/tokens table
My apologies.

DevOps did cut off the email configuration (server/firewall-side). It seems that this blocked the completion of the survey. As much as I could see the debug mode did not report this as an error - which would be nice. Also maybe it would be an option to let LS complete a tokenized survey even if the email configuration fails.

Anyway. Sorry again and thank you for your great work.

More
2 months 1 week ago #173417 by jelo
jelo replied the topic: 504 after survey submission with participants/tokens table

QuoTil wrote: Also maybe it would be an option to let LS complete a tokenized survey even if the email configuration fails.

That might be the case. I guess you wanted to get an email after each completed survey sent to you? To me this looks like a timing issue. The email couldn't be sent and is causing a delay (still room for improvement for LS devs). The NGINX timeout is lower than the delay caused by LimeSurvey handling the email error.

The following user(s) said Thank You: QuoTil

More
2 months 1 week ago #173420 by QuoTil

I guess you wanted to get an email after each completed survey sent to you?

Yes indeed.

More
2 months 1 week ago #173428 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: 504 after survey submission with participants/tokens table

jelo wrote: (still room for improvement for LS devs).

No, because it can be easily fixed with a good mail server.
You can use your own server as a relay, mail is send by your server but it take really less time to send via PHP

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).

More
2 months 1 week ago #173453 by jelo

DenisChenu wrote:

jelo wrote: (still room for improvement for LS devs).

No, because it can be easily fixed with a good mail server.
You can use your own server as a relay, mail is send by your server but it take really less time to send via PHP

No room for improvement, really? The error handling, when a survey is submitted and an email is triggered for the admin, might not slow down the submitting itself.

More
2 months 1 week ago #173460 by holch
holch replied the topic: 504 after survey submission with participants/tokens table

No room for improvement, really? The error handling, when a survey is submitted and an email is triggered for the admin, might not slow down the submitting itself.

It might, but it shouldn't. ;-)

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

More
2 months 1 week ago #173465 by jelo

holch wrote: It might, but it shouldn't. ;-)

This comes from trying to be more polite ;-)

When a mail cannot be sent, the submitprocess should continue. Without having a task queue a bit difficult to implement. Experience of survey respondent is more import than a missing email for the LS user.

More
2 months 1 week ago #173466 by holch
holch replied the topic: 504 after survey submission with participants/tokens table

Experience of survey respondent is more import than a missing email for the LS user.

Agreed.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

More
2 months 1 week ago #173480 by DenisChenu

holch wrote:

Experience of survey respondent is more import than a missing email for the LS user.

Agreed.

Sorry it's only an opinion … :)

Since such email can be an alert for a broken survey (bad submit email alert) : if user think is survey is saved : it MUST be saved. It's really more important .

Data is the most important :)

More
2 months 1 week ago #173488 by jelo

DenisChenu wrote:

holch wrote: if user think is survey is saved : it MUST be saved. It's really more important .

If the threadstarter described the situation correct, than LimeSurvey is hanging on to send an email to an mailserver, which is not available. The timeout (might be solved via a little NGINX tweak here) then prevents that the respondent can complete the survey.

You're saying: It is more important that LimeSurvey tries to send the email instead of letting the respondent completing the survey.

The Data that someone completed the survey is lost. A redirection is lost.

More
2 months 1 week ago #173495 by DenisChenu
I more say : The development must take priority over features that are not correctable with a good server ...

With your opinion : if i make a broken plugin : broke redirection or show end page. LimeSurvey must disable this plugin.
But : if this plugin make a major action (for example : preparing an order) : maybe it better if we brake.

I'm OK with the general part : when a broken system happen : log it as error and show a clean error to user.
If we have time : add a checkbox on Global settings to send all error to a specific email etc …

But, if you look at bugs.limesurvey.org/my_view_page.php : you see a lot of other error that seems most important , no ?

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!