Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Sharepoint or LimeSurvey

More
7 years 5 months ago #143828 by Henkl
Sharepoint or LimeSurvey was created by Henkl
I really like LimeSurvey. Basically quite easy to figure out. Good configuration options.
Now why would you choose LimeSurvey over Sharepoint?
Personally I'm convinced LimeSurvey is excellent but now I have to convince others it is. They're saying: we've got Sharepoint so don't even bother with LimeSurvey. There is nothing Sharepoint can't do that LimeSurvey does...

Can you guys give me some ammo here, if you catch my drift?
The topic has been locked.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 5 months ago #143829 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Sharepoint or LimeSurvey
LimeSurvey is OpenSource. B)
Microsoft is evil :laugh:
  • tammo
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
7 years 5 months ago #143832 by tammo
Replied by tammo on topic Sharepoint or LimeSurvey
First of all: investigate if it is really true that Sharepoint can do everything that Limesurvey can. If so, your position may be weak.

Secondly: investigate one or two survey projects and how you would do them with Sharepoint and how with LimeSurvey:
* how much time to develop?
* can you achieve everything that you want?
* is the reporting OK?

I am not sure if many people here will know both Sharepoint and LimeSurvey. I don't know Sharepoint, but I do use LimeSurvey for several years now. Still learning, although I could do projects from the start...

Tammo

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #143833 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Sharepoint or LimeSurvey
If you have Sharepoint and it will be paid anyway, if it does what you need, if there are no advantages over Limesurvey (can't tell, because I don't know Sharepoint and honestly I have never seen it as a survey plattform), then I don't see much point in using Limesurvey.

OK, we could argue like Louis, but then I guess this won't convince the colleagues.

I think Limesurvey is a good piece of software. Now if you already have a software that works very well for you and there are no advantages of Limesurvey over this software, I don't see why you should bother to fight a fight that you will probably not win. Spend your time on something more useful.

I just had a look at the sharepoint website, but I couldn't see anything about surveys. So I am not sure what we are comparing to here. What are your use cases where Limesurvey would compete with Sharepoint?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by holch.
More
7 years 5 months ago #143834 by Ben_V
Replied by Ben_V on topic Sharepoint or LimeSurvey
Hi Henkl ,

1) a quick look at this document teach us that sharepoint is probably ok for non-complex in-house surveys but not really made for public surveys especially for anonymous data collection...

2) Is there something like LimeSurvey Expression Manager engine available in sharepoint (for conditional branching, validation, tailoring, assessment etc.)

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
  • Joffm
More
7 years 5 months ago #143835 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Sharepoint or LimeSurvey
Hi, Henk,
Ben was a bit quicker than I was.

Considering your question about the "three unique questions" I assume you do in-house surveys.

If Sharepoint fulfill your needs, use it. And avoid some remarks of colleagues in the future, like "Didn't we tell you before..." when you are fighting with a problem in LS.

Best regards
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • holch
More
7 years 5 months ago #143836 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Sharepoint or LimeSurvey

If Sharepoint fulfill your needs, use it. And avoid some remarks of colleagues in the future, like "Didn't we tell you before..." when you are fighting with a problem in LS.

I agree with Joffm. While I really like LS, I always try to avoid ideological fights. And if sharepoint does what you need use it. The "Didn't we tell you before..." can be really annoying, when you were the advocate for something and run into difficulties. I'd rather be in the position to say "in Limesurvey this could be done easily..." when sharepoint get's to its limits. ;-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
7 years 5 months ago #143866 by Henkl
Replied by Henkl on topic Sharepoint or LimeSurvey
Thanks for your replies guys.
In this particular case LimeSurey is competing with Sharepoint 365 (in the cloud).
I haven't got a clue to which extend this is different from other versions.
If any one does, feel free to let me know.
More
7 years 5 months ago #143925 by jboogie21
Replied by jboogie21 on topic Sharepoint or LimeSurvey
I will echo what others have stated, but add that I have a smidge of experience with SharePoint. Bottom line is if everything is in-house (e.g. a relatively small number of employee surveys from time to time), SharePoint will suffice especially if it's already paid for. However, it is very easy to outgrow SharePoint's capabilities. That point will probably occur the first time you ask "How do I..." B)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose