Import VV file : No answers could be mapped

More
2 years 9 months ago #151099 by blocka
I have an existing survey that has responses associated with it. I went to Responses and exported responses using VV format.

I have used the Copy Survey in LS to create a new survey, and then activated it. I then went to Responses, and I selected to import responses from my VV file I created above.

Leaving all settings as default in the VV import screen, when I try to import the data from the VV file, I get the message:

Success
File upload succeeded.
Error
Import failed: No answers could be mapped.

Can someone explain to me why no answers could be mapped, when I'm using exactly the same survey structure in both surveys?

I'm using LS version 2.64.1+170310
The following user(s) said Thank You: r0bis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LimeSurvey Partners
More
2 years 9 months ago #151102 by jelo
Perhaps you can change the settings for the VV import.

To check for survey issues create a new survey with 1-2 responses and copy that survey.
Try a VV export/import. Same issue?

What database/version is used?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

More
2 years 9 months ago #151314 by DenisChenu
More information needed : when export did 'New VV format' is selected ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .

More
2 years 9 months ago #152562 by oleggorfinkel
Hi, Denis!

I have had exactly the same issue as the original poster, and I do have some additional information on it.

The way the problem started for me is simply that I did a VV export from an active survey (with the Latest VV version option), cleared the list and then tried to re-import. The import failed with the messages:

Success
File upload succeeded.
Error
Import failed: No answers could be mapped.

Then, I created a copy of the survey and lo and behold -- I could now import the VV file into the new one!

The problem, however, was that I needed the new survey to have the same ID as the old one, so that the people who had the link to it could still use it. So, I deleted the original survey and once again created a new copy (from the FIRST copy) and gave it the old ID. Unfortunately, this did NOT work, as importing the VV file produced the same errors as before.

I thought the issue was associated with that old survey ID, so I created yet another copy, this time letting the system pick the ID, and again, no joy.

So, to summarize, only the first copy that I made of the survey is working properly. The original and any subsequent copies fail the VV import with the above-mentioned errors.

I have also attempted the following:

1. I compared the survey structure export files from the copy that works and the one that doesn't, and they are identical, except for the survey ID.

2. I thought the problem might be caused by some particular question, or perhaps some particular record. So, I eliminated all but one records from the VV file, and then went through the exercise of eliminating the questions from the survey one by one, until I only had a single question left --a short text-- and I was still getting the error messages when trying to import.

3. Recreating the survey from the structure export file also does NOT work -- the VV import fails on the resulting survey.

4. New, simple test surveys I create from scratch as a test work just fine for VV export-import.

5. Also, with my other surveys (some of which are very large and complex) VV export-import DOES work. So far, the problem has been with only a single survey -- and it is a relatively simple one, with just 7 or 8 questions.

So, basically, it seems that when a survey goes bad, it stays bad no matter what you do, except that in just ONE case, I was able to clone it and the clone did work (but I was never able to do it again successfully).

That's all I can report for now. If you want, I can send you the survey structure export and the VV file, so you can look at them.

Cheers,
Oleg.

Oleg G.
The following user(s) said Thank You: r0bis

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #191902 by r0bis
I had same symptoms, but then I checked the file in text editor.

I saw that CALC preferred to save it as true CSV - with comma as delimiter. However the exported file had TAB as delimiter. Once I fiddled with "Save As" options in CALC (using tab), then I could import without problems - even with only partial answers.

hth
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by r0bis. Reason: clarity

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!