Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Generate statistics from matrix question group with equation

• CarinaHinterberger
  • CarinaHinterberger's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #257806 by CarinaHinterberger
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: Cloud Version 6.4.10
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting:
Survey theme/template: Fruity
==================
Hello, first time posting and pretty new to Lime Survey, so please let me know if I am missing something.
I am trying to generate a statistical output after every question group I have. Most of my question groups consist of Matrix type questions where the participants can answer "Yes", "No" and "n / a". I want to have a pie chart, showing the ratio of Yes compared to the other two options.  I only want to see results from one participant at the time, so I don't need the data to accumulate from different responses.

So far I tried to create a new question Equation type at the end of each question group and collect the data there. I would do it like this: {sumifop("Yes",G05Q01_SQ001_0,G05Q01_SQ001_1,G05Q01_SQ002_0,G05Q01_SQ002_1,G05Q01_SQ003_0,G05Q01_SQ003_1,G05Q01_SQ004_0,G05Q01_SQ004_1,G05Q01_SQ005_0,G05Q01_SQ005_1)}

Is this already collecting the data in the background? And how can I display it in a pie chart - so I see each group result by itself?

I would really appreciate any pointer in the right direction!
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by CarinaHinterberger.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Joffm
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #257817 by Joffm
Hi,
your username makes me think you are able to read German.
Have a look at my "Tutorial 3: Gimmicks", Chapter 3. 
You find it in the German section on one of the first ten pages.

Here the shown example in this tutorial.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Joffm.

• CarinaHinterberger
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #257870 by CarinaHinterberger
Replied by CarinaHinterberger on topic Generate statistics from matrix question group with equation
Wow, thanks for pointing me to the master document, it's really impressive and very insightful! I incorporated the plugin you use (statFunctions), but now I hit the next road block: I cannot use it like this in a List (Radio) type question as an answer-option, since it tells me that I have too many arguments (11). I entered this:
statCountIf(G05Q01_SQ001_0, G05Q01_SQ001_1, G05Q01_SQ002_0, G05Q01_SQ002_1, G05Q01_SQ003_0, G05Q01_SQ003_1, G05Q01_SQ004_0, G05Q01_SQ004_1, G05Q01_SQ005_0, G05Q01_SQ005_1, "Ja") 
So I suppose I am not to use the function like this and I need to find a different approach.

I don't quite understand yet, how I am supposed to generate a number from the function, or where I have to put the code in order to make it work. I don't think the answer option is where I want to put the stat function (like I detailed above), but how else can I make it relevant for a statistical output?

• Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #257872 by Mazi
@Carina, you are missing the ".sgqa" detail at your function. Also make sure "Ja" is the answer code assigned.
Check  manual.limesurvey.org/StatFunctions for more details.

@Joffm: Is there a page with link to all of your wonderful tutorials?

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com

• holch
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #257878 by holch

I incorporated the plugin you use (statFunctions),

For what you are trying to do, the plugin is totally useless. The plugin allows you to access answers from other respondents and present accumulated results over all respondents.

I only want to see results from one participant at the time, so I don't need the data to accumulate from different responses.

However, you only want to show the results for the current respondent.

so first of all, you will create equation type questions and make your calculations. Once you made your calculations and everything works, you can do the next step and show it in a graph.

From what I understood, this graph is not for you, but rather to show to the respondent within the survey, correct?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• holch
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #257879 by holch

@Joffm: Is there a page with link to all of your wonderful tutorials?

No, you have to search in the German forum for them. Unfortunately Joffm didn't want me to create a sticky post including the links...

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• Joffm
  • Away
More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #257880 by Joffm
@holch
In the meantime I changed my mind.
So I'll create a new topic with only a short description and the links to the pdfs.

Joffm 

Btw:
The syntax of "sumifop" is wrong.
Either you use
sumifop("==","1",Q1,Q2,...).
You missed the operator.

Or
sumif("1",Q1,Q2,...)

​​​​​​

Volunteers are not paid.
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Joffm.

• CarinaHinterberger
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #257881 by CarinaHinterberger
Replied by CarinaHinterberger on topic Generate statistics from matrix question group with equation
Hi holch, thanks for responding!
The graph is not for the respondent and should not be accessible to them, it should be easily accessible in the background, preferably within the statistics section of Lime Survey so I don't have to export the data.... So I want Lime to calculate the ratio of Yes to No and n/a answers for each question group and then I want to access this calculation again and plot a pie chart displaying Yes vs. No.

The point is to see in the background how many of the certificates listed in the survey(each line in the matrix equals one certificate) are applicable to the respondent. I want to generate this for every question group and the end goal is to display a report sheet, which shows only the accumulated pie chart for each group as a quick overview.

• Joffm
  • Away
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #257883 by Joffm
Oh,
so you confused us.
In your first post you wrote

I am trying to generate a statistical output after every question group I have

But obviously you only want to calculate some values.
Then it is sufficient to create some (hidden) questions (e.g. of type list(radio)) and preset the values by your calculation equation.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.

• CarinaHinterberger
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #257885 by CarinaHinterberger
Looking back, it does sound like I want to do something different, so sorry for that!

I am still not understanding, how I can do what you propose? It sounds logical, but I don't know how to connect the two things. Do I need to assign the Yes-answers a variable to re-use it afterwards? Or how can I refer to it again afterwards, since I cannot display a Equation type question in the statistics. I am also not finding this connection between calculating and making it available in the stats in the manual - it' sso detailed, but I am somehow missing the connection..

• holch
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #257887 by holch
You can't display results for single respondents in the statistics, this is not what it is for.

The statistics is always based on all respondents, not a single respondent.

So you will have to approach this differently I think.

Let's sum up your situation, if we get this right.
1. It is not a survey, but some kind of test / evaluation and the overall results for all respondents are not relevant to you. The single results of each respondent is what you are trying to get to. So this means the statistics are basically useless.
2. You have a number of question groups and for each question group you'll calculate some kind of result.

• CarinaHinterberger
More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #257890 by CarinaHinterberger
Exactly. The result I calculate for each question group is always the same - always an easy overview of how many of the answered questions are applicable to the singular respondent. It's like a qualification process and I can not have the data sets by multiple participants mixed up, correct.

But because you say the statistics are useless then: Can I not just filter for a specific aspect (I ask the name in the beginning), and then only display the answers that person gave? 
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by CarinaHinterberger.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose