Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Security Block

• jimwright
  • jimwright's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 3 days ago #106362 by jimwright
Security Block was created by jimwright
Hi All: I just downloaded and installed Lime Survey on one of my websites two days ago (v2.05 build 140302). I installed using the automatic installer provided thru Softaculous. The install was effortless and seemed to go well. As soon as the install was completed, I was able to login to the admin account and everything seemed to work fine. I started to work on the initial setup and again everything was going fine. All of a sudden I lost all contact with my site. After a lot of discussion with my ISP, it was determined that one of their security packages had temporarily blocked my access (for my address) because it thought that I was acting in a malicious (virus) manner. I have double and triple checked my PC with several different packages and, as far as I can tell, I do not have any viruses on my machine. I addition, I can log into other packages on my site and I have no issues with continuous access (no blocking). However, every time that I access Lime Survey one of the security features on the server kicks in and temporarily blocks me. I have tried this six or seven times, all with the same result. Any ideas as to the possible cause and a possible solution? Thanks. Jim
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 3 days ago #106366 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Security Block
Possible solution: change the provider. If their security solutions are triggered when you use Limesurvey, there is something seriously wrong with their security settings/solutions. I assume you are not talking about your ISP (internet connection), but your server provider, right?

And unfortunately it is very hard to give support for stuff installed by Softaculous. It is really impossible to know what they do with the Limesurvey package and if they changed anything. So it is always better to set up a clean Limesurvey package. The installation process is actually very simple. The only thing that Softaculous probably saves you is to create a database and a corresponding database user. But I am sure your server provider makes that easy for you (for example with PHPmyAdmin). The rest of the installation of LS is really quite simple, especially with the newer builts.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• jimwright
More
10 years 3 days ago #106367 by jimwright
Replied by jimwright on topic Security Block
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes. I goofed. I was talking about my service provider. I have been thinking of doing an uninstall and then a re-installation to see if that would fix the issue. That maybe the best solution.
  • jimwright
More
10 years 16 hours ago #106455 by jimwright
Replied by jimwright on topic Security Block
Thanks for the response. It has taken me awhile to get back because I have been busy with other things. After the response by holch, I completely uninstalled the initial installation done through Softaculous. I then did a complete manual install of Lime 2.05, Build 140302 with a freshly downloaded package from your site. The install went very well. Everything worked the first time out. With one exception. My service provider's security software still does not like what ever is going on and continues to lock me out after a very short time. About the only thing that the provider can tell me is that it is a Java script that seems to be causing the issue. I have been running this site on the same server for 3 years with no problems. And no security problems. I have a number of other applications loaded on the site and have not had a problem with them. I really want to use Lime Survey because I think it will do exactly what I need. Can someone try to help me figure out what the problem might be? Thanks Jim
  • holch
More
10 years 12 hours ago #106463 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Security Block
What is the response of your hosting provider? Which his the package / javascript that is causing the problem? What security software is detecting this problem?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
  • Away
More
10 years 1 hour ago #106477 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Security Block

holch wrote: What is the response of your hosting provider? Which his the package / javascript that is causing the problem? What security software is detecting this problem?

+1 , there his a lack of information here. Your hoster can not say : 'there is a javascript problem' and don't send you the server log. Or it's a very bad hoster.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose