Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Export more than 255 columns in Excel

Export more than 255 columns in Excel 11 months 4 weeks ago #101033

• plhostis
  • Junior Lime
hello

I want to export results of a survey, but i am limited to 255 columns and i need 500 .
How can i do override this limitation ?

I use LS 2.0+ build 130802
Ms Office 2010
IIS
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Export more than 255 columns in Excel 11 months 4 weeks ago #101047

• w0928
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 3
You can export as many columns to a csv file as you like. Just export them to csv and load the file in Excel, saving it as an XLSX file. Boom. > 255 columns.

Export more than 255 columns in Excel 11 months 4 weeks ago #101052

• plhostis
  • Junior Lime
Thanks but i tried and it's fine but i don't have lastname, firstname,email ... i don't know why ...

i have tested it twice with the same result ( these 3 columns where well checked in )

Export more than 255 columns in Excel 11 months 4 weeks ago #101053

• w0928
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 3
So you were able to export more than 255 columns? That's good. Now for your other issue...

Are last name, first name, and email actually fields in your database or are they tokens?

If they are actual fields, did you make sure they were highlighted on the export form? By default only the first 255 are highlighted when you bring up the form.

If they are tokens and you are checking the boxes for them under token control, as shown here:

http://manual.limesurvey.org/Exporting_results#Export_to_application_.28Excel.2F.csv.29

then I'm sorry, I really don't know what to say. I don't know why they aren't coming out. Are you sure the users used them and that they actually contain data?
Last Edit: 11 months 4 weeks ago by w0928.

Export more than 255 columns in Excel 11 months 4 weeks ago #101054

• plhostis
  • Junior Lime
thanks a lot

Byt i verified twice, that ALL the fields are highlighted AND these 3 fields two but if i find the solution i will tell you. It will be better to upgrade the export function to support > 255 cols to stick to the last Office product like MS Office 2010 et others...

Export more than 255 columns in Excel 10 months 3 weeks ago #102115

• riqcles
  • Expert Lime
  • Thank you received: 7
Hello !
try to export in two time ? :huh:
export with 250 columns and a second with the last columns ?

Try ! :woohoo:
LimeSurvey version 2.05 build 140520 / 1.92+ build 120909 / 1.85+ (plus pour longtemps ! yes ! )
BDD : PostGresql 9.3 /PostGresql 8.4.11

Export more than 255 columns in Excel 10 months 3 weeks ago #102116

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 359
The export function is limited to 255 columns because of the limits of older Excel versions.

I would always recommend to export to CSV anyway. And if firstname, lastname, etc. are in the results table, they should be exported if you did everything right.
It will be better to upgrade the export function to support > 255 cols to stick to the last Office product like MS Office 2010 et others...
This is always a matter of limited resources and priorities. As you can export to CSV without this limit and import it easily into Excel, I think as long as there is no one who volunteers for implementing this or who sponsors this feature, I guess it will take a while until this is updated. Don't forget that the developers do this in their spare time.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
Donation Image