Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Combining free-text and radio buttons in an array?

Combining free-text and radio buttons in an array? 2 years 9 months ago #63332

• doodsonj
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Team,

Based on the documentation, it doesn't seem like there is a question type that does the following, but I wanted to check. Is it possible to combine multiple types of question in an array?

Specifically, I am looking for participants to define the ‘answer label’ using a free-text box, and then rate that answer using a radio-box scale. I think it is almost as if I want to combine 'Array (Text)' and 'Array using Flexible Labels' type in the same array, to create something such as the following whereby the participant can define what they are ranking in the free text box, and then rank that item.

I.e.
.......................... 1 2 3 4 5
FREETEXTBOX1 o o o o o
FREETEXTBOX2 o o o o o
FREETEXTBOX3 o o o o o
FREETEXTBOX4 o o o o o
FREETEXTBOX5 o o o o o

Let me know your thoughts on if this has been implemented. Any help appreciated :)

J.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by doodsonj.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Combining free-text and radio buttons in an array? 2 years 9 months ago #63339

• zoi
  • Fresh Lemon
I was looking for this kind of array but found nothing

Re: Combining free-text and radio buttons in an array? 2 years 9 months ago #63347

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 254
I think you have 2 options. You could create a question with textboxes to ask for the items and then on another page include via the SGQA identifies the responses of the first question as items for the second. I haven't tried this recently, but I think I have done that a while ago (no warranty ;-) ).

The in the workaround section there is presented a way how to combine several question types in an array.

Have a look in my signature at the link to the workaround section in the documentation or go straight to the right workaround (however, it is worth to read over the other workarounds, there are some nice things available):
docs.limesurvey.org/Workarounds%3A+Quest...stion_types_in_array
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zoi, doodsonj

Re: Combining free-text and radio buttons in an array? 2 years 9 months ago #63364

• doodsonj
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for getting back to me :) This is exactly that which I was looking for.

I've looked at the workaround for docs.limesurvey.org/Workarounds%3A+Quest...stion_types_in_array

It has provided exactly what I've been looking forward and I've amended the code to make it all look excellent. I'll have a play with other workarounds too.

Thanks, Holch.

Zoi - try the workaround, it did exactly that which I'm looking for.

J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zoi

Re: Combining free-text and radio buttons in an array? 2 years 9 months ago #63365

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 254
Perfect, good to hear that it worked out well.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
Donation Image