Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Android Application Development

• lawrence
  • lawrence's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 6 months ago #112147 by lawrence
Android Application Development was created by lawrence
Is it possible to deploy the LimeSurvey project to the Android platform?
Thanks
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 5 months ago #113397 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Android Application Development
Yes, this is possible.

If the device is connected to the internet you can just run the surveys from the browser (ideally with an adapted template for mobile devices).

Or if you want to run Limesurvey offline on an Android device you need to have an application that runs a webserver with PHP and MySQL.

I already managed to run Limessurvey on a android tablet. I didn't test much and where the limits are (survey size, etc.).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
8 years 4 months ago #127656 by bobssy
Replied by bobssy on topic Android Application Development
I think better is to have app that get survey from server run locally on tablet/mobile droid device and then upload answers into server...
same principal as askia and other paid platforms...unfortunately i am not programmer otherwise i will do a such
  • holch
More
8 years 4 months ago #127660 by holch

bobssy wrote: I think better is to have app that get survey from server run locally on tablet/mobile droid device and then upload answers into server...

Of course this would be the ideal. But: "get survey from server run locally on tablet/mobile droid device and then upload answers into server", this sounds simple, but I am quite sure, it isn't that easy and simple at all.

bobssy wrote: unfortunately i am not programmer otherwise i will do a such

Here is the problem: Someone needs to do it. I think the current development team has all hands full to maintain and improve the normal Limesurvey web application, so I don't see them to be able to create the android app.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

More
8 years 4 months ago #127662 by bobssy
Replied by bobssy on topic Android Application Development
Yes...i know what you mean, but this lack of stable offline possibilities stop many companies and individuals to used it.
otherwise i see that even now better templates etc are paid...

if we do some working module for offline survey working on android , i think will be huge step ahead...
i can script on php/html little Java so i seriously think to get books for android and get start...

But. web-system should have connector engine on some port that will wait connection, after that should upload to device proper survey regarding user login , id for every device also should be unique ...so its handwork for a one half developer :)
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 months ago #127666 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Android Application Development
well, that could happen during 2016.
More
8 years 4 months ago #127675 by Ben_V
Replied by Ben_V on topic Android Application Development

LouisGac wrote: well, that could happen during 2016

Correct me if I'm wrong... if client-side storage is only for html5 documents:
1) the current html4 web application will still exists aside a new html5 mobile app
2) general migration to html5 (as suggested by Denis here ... in 2013)

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
  • holch
More
8 years 4 months ago #127677 by holch
I am not a developer, but I think it is probably easier to create an APP that includes a local server with php/mysql, downloads the survey (e.g. as lss file), imports it and then runs the survey just like normal. Sending the results from the database on the phone/tablet to the main server probably is the smallest problem. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Because recreating all funcionalities of LS in an Android app, I think this will take very long.

I would love to have an easy way to run and administer offline surveys on tables / smartphones through Limesurvey. But on the other hand, how relevant is offline CAPI in the 1st world? Here in the 2nd/3rd world it is still relevant, especially if you leave the big cities. But even in big cities you can't really trust 3G/4G mobile connections.

More
8 years 4 months ago #127700 by first
Replied by first on topic Android Application Development
How can we attract phone gap or android developers to start an opensource app to host limesurvey offline?

Offline PHP/MySQL server is already available of play store. Just need some developer to initiate the project . I strongly believe that if we have an app on play store that can download survey from an online server and can run it offline will attract a large number of user because there is no such alternative in market.

Survey Designer and Programmer
  • holch
More
8 years 4 months ago #127703 by holch
I agree with you up to this point:

OMdev wrote: because there is no such alternative in market.

There are plenty of survey tools that offer an app to run their questionnaires offline, just have a look at store. As far as I know, SPSS offers an android app for their CAPI solution, Qualtrics has this, etc.

But we should look into this. For example, what sawtooth does for their offline CAPI is offering an EXE file to download on a computer and this is actually a webserver that runs just like the normal SSI tool, but locally. Then you need to import the survey file and later to export the datafiles. We could use a similar approach. Both as an exe file for desktop/notebook offline capi and as apk for mobile (tablet smartphone). For both solutions there is already a base. We actually have an exe package already, including limesurvey. What would be necessary to make it practical would be an easy way to import surveys (the normal way wouldn't work with most interviewers, even if it is not that complicated, we need already to be happy if they can install an exe file) and as OMdev said, we also have already apps that install a webserver on an android device. However, I am not sure how good a tablet or smartphone can handle the newer versions of Limesurvey, because they require more and more from the server (at least this is my feeling).

So what we would need to look at is actually these things:
1. Importing surveys easily (including templates and images of the survey)
2. Exporting surveys easily
3. Import surveys easily back on the server (problem could be the IDs here, we would need to make sure to know from where the interview came from - which interviewer, etc.). Ideally this would go directly into the database when there is a internet connection, so that the interviewer doesn't have to do anything. But this is probably just a good wish. I would already be happy when the results would come back as a file that can easily imported.

More
8 years 1 day ago #133202 by blackfreeze
Replied by blackfreeze on topic Android Application Development
www.offlinesurveys.com/ they have develop app for android
  • holch
More
8 years 1 day ago #133207 by holch
Yes, I have given it a try already and it looks very promising. If the price is right, this can be a success.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose