Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Time limit for question groups

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #116163 by Dubi
Time limit for question groups was created by Dubi
Hi,
can me please tell somebody where exactly can I set timelimits for question groups? I have three different question groups with three different timelimits. I found online, that this is possibel, but nowhere is written where exactly can I do this. I use the limesurvey in german. I want, that after the time is expired for the group, the answering to the group questions is blocked and that they have to click next to come to the next group with the next timelimit for filling out. It would be nice that they can see also the time countdown and a message that the time is expired. I hope somebody here can help me cause I´m loosing my nerves with this.

Version 1.91+ Build 12416
Google Chrom
Windows 7

Regards, Dubi
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Dubi. Reason: Sprache
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 2 months ago #116169 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Time limit for question groups
I have never heard of the possibility of time limit for question groups in Limesurvey (at least not out of the box without custom coding or Javascript).

But even if so, your version is pretty old and Limesurvey has come a long way since 1.91.

I check quickly, but even for 2.05 I could not find an option for a time limit for question groups.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
9 years 2 months ago #116176 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Time limit for question groups

holch wrote: ....
I check quickly, but even for 2.05 I could not find an option for a time limit for question groups.

You can:

- Add a time limited question (short text for example)
- Set 'go next' for action
- Hide this question in javascript $("#question{QID}").hide()

Then the time limit happen for the group, when the time limit come for question, he go to the next group.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch
  • holch
  • Away
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #116182 by holch
This workaround sounds good, but will only work if you go group by group, right?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by holch.
  • DenisChenu
More
9 years 2 months ago #116183 by DenisChenu

holch wrote: This workaround sounds good, but will only work if you go group by group, right?

Oh yes !

And surely need some css update to show the popup to the user.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
More
9 years 2 months ago #116189 by Dubi
Replied by Dubi on topic Time limit for question groups
Hi,
thanks I will try, but I think that my skills are not so good to do this.

Attached the screenshot of what I found about the group by group time limits.
Thats what I meant.

Regards, Dubi
  • holch
  • Away
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #116191 by holch
Well, seems pretty clear to me. You need to set the time limit of one question within the group.

This will have two outcomes if you use group by group display:
- If your group contains only 1 question, once you reach the time limit the respondend will be automatically forwared to the next group.
- If your group contains more than one question, the question with the time should be "disabled", but all others (without the timelimit) can still be answered. The respondent will not be redirected to the next group / page as long as they don't click "Next".

By the way: It would be a lot easier if you would post the link to the manual instead of a screenshot...

Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by holch.
More
9 years 2 months ago #116193 by Dubi
Hi,
here you go.
manual.limesurvey.org/QS:Time_limit/en

thanks,d.
More
9 years 2 months ago #116194 by Dubi
So, I tried to set the time limit for the first question, totaly empty question, in the group but nothing happens exept I see the countdown if the question is not hidden.
Where to put this javascript code is not clear for me, because if I go in this fake question to the source code and paste it in there, I just see this as a text in the question, nothing more. I read that I have to change the general settings for javacodes, but I´m not admin for the survey so I don´t have this option and can´t check if this is maybe the reason. It´s the survey on the server from my university.
So I know I´m not very talented for this kind of stuff, but I need this survey for my master degree.
So is this timelimit for many questions in a group somehow possibel and what have I exactly do and where, step by step. Or are in my situation this just my dreams with this timelimits?
Many thanks, D.
  • DenisChenu
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #116195 by DenisChenu
I think there are an error on our manual

In time_limit_action : manual.limesurvey.org/Question_type_-_Te...time_limit_action.29
Set Move on without warning

I already use it and it work (i think i update the js for this ;)). But it broke mandatory question !

Denis
PS: it work : limesurvey.sondages.pro/survey/index/sid...3/newtest/Y/lang/en#

Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by DenisChenu.
More
9 years 2 months ago #116196 by Dubi
it´s just for that question not for the whole group.
I´m now downloading the limesurvey version to my pc and hope i can add there everything and then import to the survey on the university server and that everything is going. cause i think it´s not possibel to put any java codes anywhere on the university example.
have I upload somewhere all java codes or just put them in the question text box in the source code option???
what exactly do I have to write??
More
9 years 2 months ago #116198 by Dubi
so I downloaded the 1,91 version to my pc, but it´s just a normal file not a program, so it´s over my skills defenitly. what´s your ideas what should I do??? maybe I give you the link and my passwords so you can sign in and see what is possibel and what not???
many thanks for loosing your nerves with me, dubi

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose