Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

"Unrecoverable error" when updating from 3.4.2 to 3.5.0

• oleggorfinkel
  • oleggorfinkel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #165253 by oleggorfinkel
Trying to bring up the login screen for the first time after the update, I got:

An non-recoverable error happened during the update. Error details:
CDbCommand failed to execute the SQL statement: SQLSTATE[42S21]: Column already exists: 1060 Duplicate column name 'surveyls_policy_notice'

File C:\xampp\htdocs\application\helpers\update\updatedb_helper.php, line 2203.

After reloading the page, LimeSurvey seemed to come up fine, as though nothing had happened. What do I do? Is my database alright?

Oleg G.
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #165257 by jelo
Ignore it for the moment. Looks to me like the new feature with the privacy notice causes this error.
But the errormessage only stated that the column is already there. You might check the general text section of a survey and try the new privacy policy feature to check if the data is saved without any further issue.

github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/commit/...2825001b640162321e19

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #165258 by oleggorfinkel

jelo wrote: Ignore it for the moment. Looks to me like the new feature with the privacy notice causes this error.
But the errormessage only stated that the column is already there. You might check the general text section of a survey and try the new privacy policy feature to check if the data is saved without any further issue.

github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/commit/...2825001b640162321e19

If you mean the "Text elements" section, I looked there, but didn't find anything that mentions the Privacy Policy. Please see the attached screen capture of the bottom part of that page.

Oleg G.
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by oleggorfinkel.
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #165261 by jelo
In the screenshot the input boxes are currently labeled "data security". That is new. I expect a relabeling in the next version.

• oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #165262 by oleggorfinkel
So, should one of those boxes really be labeled "Privacy policy?"

Oleg G.
  • ollehar
  • LimeSurvey GmbH Employee
  • LimeSurvey GmbH Employee
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #165265 by ollehar
Still a problem? Are you using "git pull" or ComfortUpdate?
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #165286 by jelo

oleggorfinkel wrote: So, should one of those boxes really be labeled "Privacy policy?"

In 3.5 it is still labled Data security. I only wanted to point out that these textboxes are new. Add some text and save. If you get not error message the tables are still working.
There was some code adding and temporary retracting in GITHUB. So I expect some more changes (The wording as well) in the next release.

LS 3.5 via comfortupdate looks like this.

• oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #165302 by oleggorfinkel

olle wrote: Still a problem? Are you using "git pull" or ComfortUpdate?

Neither, I updated by hand from the downloaded release.

Oleg G.
  • oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #165305 by oleggorfinkel

jelo wrote:

oleggorfinkel wrote: So, should one of those boxes really be labeled "Privacy policy?"

In 3.5 it is still labled Data security. I only wanted to point out that these textboxes are new. Add some text and save. If you get not error message the tables are still working.
There was some code adding and temporary retracting in GITHUB. So I expect some more changes (The wording as well) in the next release.

LS 3.5 via comfortupdate looks like this.

The text entered into the boxes saved just fine. Actually, I've figured out why I got this message on my local PC, but NOT on the internet server: on the PC, I had already installed the 3.x version before and then rolled back down to 2.71, and on the server this was the first u[grade. So, the database on the PC had, in fact, been previously upgraded for v3.

Thanks!

Oleg G.
More
6 years 1 week ago #165417 by caitifty
I had exactly the same error upgrading from 3.4.x to 3.5.1 manually using the stable bz2. Unlike oleggorfinkel though it didn't come up after a page reload. However the error seems to have come because after the upgrade, the value of DBVersion in the settings_global table had remained at 347 instead of being changed to 348. The code at line 2203 and following in updatedb_helper.php checks to see what the db version is and if it's <348 attempts to add a handful of columns. Since the columns have already been added during the upgrade, you get the error above. Simply changing the value of DBVersion in settings_global to 348 appears to have fixed the problem for me: update lime_settings_global set stg_value='348' where stg_name='DBVersion'; [note check the name of your table to see if it's settings_global or lime_settings_global depending on what you chose when you first installed.]

Intriguingly, I updated 10 limesurvey installs at the same time, all from the same version to the same version, with the upgrade in all cases done using a bash script (so no differences in the exact sequence of commands used) and only one of the upgrades resulted in this error. So I have no idea what happened.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose