Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

v2.5x Now Requires 128MB Memory?

More
7 years 7 months ago #141327 by mills
v2.5x Now Requires 128MB Memory? was created by mills
Just tried to upgrade to 2.5x from 2.0x, only to find there is now a fixed php memory requirement of 128MB (didn't see that mentioned in the upgrade instructions... grrr...). Our hosting has a hard limit of 99MB. Is 99MB really not enough to run LimeSurvey?
The topic has been locked.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago #141349 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic v2.5x Now Requires 128MB Memory?
128Mb is just an indication.

LimeSurvey could work with less. But for some functionalities, you could face problems: import/export with a lot of items, massive actions, comfortUpdate for huge updates, survey validation/activation with a lot of questions, etc.

So, you should just try. If you're not doing huge and complex surveys, could be fine.

Btw: 99Mb of memory on a professional host in 2016? It's really not a lot.
More
7 years 7 months ago #141402 by mills
Replied by mills on topic v2.5x Now Requires 128MB Memory?
It's more than an indication though now - the pre-installation check won't let you proceed. There's no button to move on to the next step. But if there's no rigid reason why it has to be 128MB minimum then I guess I'll force it through and see how it behaves.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #141442 by LouisGac

mills wrote: why it has to be 128MB minimum

To limit the number of complains about bugs on server with low memory.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by LouisGac.
More
6 years 9 months ago #156844 by djkla
Replied by djkla on topic v2.5x Now Requires 128MB Memory?
I am getting the TOO LOW: 64MB Error. I don't know how to fix this and the only info I found in the Limesurvey manual says to create php.ini files stating memory.

I did look into the Config file and it is set to 128. So I could use help in fixing this.

I'm not a savvy administrator, so I need paths to be explicit and instructions not assuming I know anything. I can follow them, though!

Thanks to anyone who can help. I may start another topic with this since this is the only topic I've found addressing this issue.
More
6 years 9 months ago #156866 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic v2.5x Now Requires 128MB Memory?

djkla wrote: I'm not a savvy administrator, so I need paths to be explicit and instructions not assuming I know anything.

Changing the memory available to PHP is not related to LimeSurvey.
You expect paths and instructions for your webserver setup, which is unknown to all of us (exception is your provider and you). Where do you host your LimeSurvey installation?

Perhaps you find some inspiration here:
www.drupal.org/docs/7/managing-site-perf...ng-php-memory-limits

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisGac
More
6 years 8 months ago #157046 by Supatra
Replied by Supatra on topic v2.5x Now Requires 128MB Memory?
It's more than an indication though now - the pre-installation check won't let you proceed. There's no button to move on to the next step. But if there's no rigid reason why it has to be 128MB minimum then I guess I'll force it through and see how it behaves.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #157049 by LouisGac
with less than 128Mb you'll face problems in some parts of the application.
Why such a little amount of memory? Is it for personal testing in a hacker spirit or those surveys will be used in a professional context?
More
6 years 8 months ago #157064 by djkla
Replied by djkla on topic v2.5x Now Requires 128MB Memory?
Jelo, thanks for your reply. It ended up that I had to have my hosting provider (Lunarpages) make the change from their end and now it's working fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisGac
More
6 years 8 months ago #157065 by jelo

LouisGac wrote: Is it for personal testing in a hacker spirit or those surveys will be used in a professional context?

In a professional context nobody would just update a LimeSurvey installation without pretesting it with a second installation.

It might would just help adding the 128MB memory to the requirements.
The section on GITHUB "This release does have the following requirements:" isn't stating any memory or storage size minimum values.

The manual is stating a storage size minimum of 180MB. But no requirements for memory.
manual.limesurvey.org/Installation#Hosting_for_LimeSurvey

Depending on the webserver/php setup a memory as small as possible is not that seldom.

What memory is granted per LimeSurvey pro installation?

• LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #157066 by LouisGac
So, Github is not the normal way to download LimeSurvey, and a few time ago it didn't have nor a readme.md
Soon, we'll have someone in charge to update the manual, so he/she will update the requirement info (btw: it's a wiki, anybody in the community can do it) .

Here, each server has more than 100 Gigabytes of RAM and we don't limit the usage by user (like we don't limit bandwidth, nor email sending, nor available features: only the subscription time and max number of answers).
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by LouisGac.
More
6 years 8 months ago #157068 by jelo

LouisGac wrote: So, Github is not the normal way to download LimeSurvey, and a few time ago it didn't have nor a readme.md

You don't to use the "professional" way via GITHUB.
The releasenotes from Github are shown in the downloadsection via the details-button.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose