Limesurvey 3 and removal of features.

Plus d'informations
il y a 2 ans 5 mois - il y a 2 ans 5 mois #120869 par sammousa
sammousa a créé le sujet : Limesurvey 3 and removal of features.
Hey guys,

I'm currently working hard on getting LS3 production ready.
Besides a lot of new features a lot of code clean up is happening. While this might not directly improve your user experience, it will make your favorite survey tool faster and more stable!

This post is to gather some feedback regarding the use of several features, I would greatly appreciate if you could post a reply listing the features that you use and what the impact of removal would be.

Features:
- user groups
- label sets
- participant database

Note that by no means are all these features on the list to be removed / rebuilt; this is just to gather some feedback on their use. Also mention any big improvements you would like for these features.

Hope to hear from you!

Cheers,

Sam
Dernière édition: il y a 2 ans 5 mois par sammousa.
Le sujet a été verrouillé.
Plus d'informations
il y a 2 ans 5 mois - il y a 2 ans 5 mois #120870 par Mazi
Mazi a répondu au sujet : Limesurvey 3 and removal of features.
User groups:
I don't really use them and others have complained that when adding a new user to an existing group, that user doesn't inherit the group rights and thus rights for that user have to be set manually for all affected surveys.
That's something that should be improved at the future.

Label sets:
I use them at larger surveys because you often have to re-use the same scales or items and using label sets (which are actually just a list of stored answers/sub-questions you can copy) is a very helpful feature.

Participant database (also known as CPDB):
I am not using that.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Dernière édition: il y a 2 ans 5 mois par Mazi.
Plus d'informations
il y a 2 ans 5 mois #120874 par bgray
bgray a répondu au sujet : Limesurvey 3 and removal of features.
I am the sole LimeSurvey operator for a school.

User groups: I don't use them

Label sets: I use a few label sets. I would miss them if removed.

CPDB: I use this feature on nearly every survey I run. Almost all of our surveys are targeted to a specific sub-group of the school (faculty, boarding students, all students in a grade, etc). The CPDB makes it easy for me to identify the correct people for each survey. (It's important enough to me that I've integrated it into the programs that create accounts for new students and employees.)
Plus d'informations
il y a 2 ans 5 mois #120898 par tammo
tammo a répondu au sujet : Limesurvey 3 and removal of features.
I did use user groups, but as said by Mazi, the current implementation still needs a lot of improvement. If that would happen, user groups could be a great tool!

label set: I do rarely use them. I use the "copy question" tool much more often.

Participant database: never used it. I would expect this to be a plugin...

great to see efforts into bringing LS to a next level!

Tammo ter Hark at Tools for Research
Proud developers of the TFR Responsive Limesurvey template
toolsforresearch.com/limesurvey-responsive-template
Plus d'informations
il y a 2 ans 5 mois #120952 par jelo
jelo a répondu au sujet : Limesurvey 3 and removal of features.
Hello Sam,
thanks for your hard work.
LS3 wasn't on my radar until I found your git account: github.com/SamMousa

I would remove all three features, if the codebase of LS3 will be better off.

But why is the LS3 fast and more stable without these features. Let's take label sets as a feature.
How is the impact on stability and speed? If the label sets wouldn't be copied into the surveys but only linked into the questions I would expect speed gains.

I see low usage of labelsets, since mostly the surveys are prepared in a word/excel document.
The quick add function is working good enough.

User groups are not sophisticated enough to be useful.

Participant database (CPDB) is not used, because I don't like a lot of personal data in the public survey system. I prefer to keep as much data as possible separated from the actual survey system.

The pity with threads like this that most users won't join the forum and only a fraction of the user forum base is interested in feedback beside getting their problems solved. Not sure how this thread can help you.
Plus d'informations
il y a 2 ans 5 mois #120965 par DenisChenu
DenisChenu a répondu au sujet : Limesurvey 3 and removal of features.
Hi,

For me :
  • User groups: Use it a little, surely can be improved
  • Label sets : Use it a lot, even in some plugin (import from specific files, use label for "autocomplete/ajax" etc ...
  • CPDB :never use it, and realy think this one must be improved.

But the real problem is : with X.000 user, you can never know what feature is used, with what purpose and if it's important.

Each time we update (a lot) a feature, there are a lot of user who came to the forum for the first time and : "New LS version buggy , we lost all of our ...." etc ...

Then i think we can remove some option, BUT offer an alternative.

Maybe the alternative can be :
- Offer a "Plugin" (not in core) , activated by default with near same system
- When update the DB, move the DB part from core to plugin.

Actually, i think "User groups" can be in a plugin, with work on this plugin AND plugin system.
This offer too the possibility for us to put "plugin event' needed where it's needed.
CPDB can come after.
Think Label is a lot used, then at third part.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .
Plus d'informations
il y a 2 ans 5 mois #121017 par jelo
jelo a répondu au sujet : Limesurvey 3 and removal of features.

DenisChenu écrit: But the real problem is : with X.000 user, you can never know what feature is used, with what purpose and if it's important.

Since LimeSurvey Professional (previously LimeService).com is now placed on the frontpage, the users of this service can be surveyed.
Then put a link into the limesurvey installation distribution to a short survey about usage.
This won't bring a exact map of feature usage, but it can be start.
The ratio workaround vs implemented in base code can be a hint too. Which workarounds are asked again and again in the forum. They could be seen as feature request. As long as Limesurvey is targeting the enduser and isn't positioned as a survey development framework. I don't know if LimeSurvey Professional (previously LimeService).com wants to compete with other SaaS survey offers or only wants to attract people unable to host Limesurvey.

@Sam: Which survey systems do you used before / beside Limesurvey?
Plus d'informations
il y a 2 ans 5 mois #121101 par sammousa
sammousa a répondu au sujet : Limesurvey 3 and removal of features.
Hi Jelo,

Limesurvey might not directly be better of by removing any features from the code base. As you noted, the mentioned features don't necessarily impact the application while it is running.

The extra code does however make it more work to maintain the code base. For the past year we've been trying to do a lot of code clean up and the fastest way to clean up code is to remove code ;-)

Thanks for the feedback ^^
Plus d'informations
il y a 2 ans 5 mois - il y a 2 ans 5 mois #121116 par DenisChenu
DenisChenu a répondu au sujet : Limesurvey 3 and removal of features.
At IRC someone ask me why i propose a lot to move some feature to Plugin.

My answers is:
  • For core dev : move feature to plugin make clean separation betwwen core and feature
  • For core dev : improve core code is easy if we can have a look at core plugin after core code for compatibility
  • For core improvement : make a pull request on a little plugin is really more easy to make pull request on a big tool ith a lot of line.
  • For other dev : adding feature in plugin by core force us to offer more plugin event, then more plugin possibility
  • For other dev : already have some feature in plugin allow easily do a fork of the plugin and offer differenr functionnality (for example actually do a LDAPAuth with user autocreate seems more easy.)
  • For admin user : have the feature in a plugin or in core offer same featire, then it's OK.
  • For admin user : allow us to deactivate some feature offer a cleaner GUI with less button and option.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .
Dernière édition: il y a 2 ans 5 mois par DenisChenu.
Plus d'informations
il y a 2 ans 1 mois #126660 par krypsin
krypsin a répondu au sujet : Limesurvey 3 and removal of features.
User Groups
I don't find this very useful; I only have 5 administrators and we have no need for this. However this could be useful for some people that have large

Label Sets
I don't currently use them but I can see that this will be quite useful in the future for me

Participants Database
This could be an extremely huge feature that I would make a lot of use of. However it doesn't provide the main functionality that I need. Having the ability for a user to register to the website and not have to register to MULTIPLE surveys would be a dream!
Hopefully having that feature, I could make some sort of "profile" page for my users that want to fill out their surveys and allows us and them to keep track of their surveys they have completed.
Plus d'informations
il y a 2 ans 1 mois - il y a 2 ans 1 mois #126691 par holch
holch a répondu au sujet : Limesurvey 3 and removal of features.
Well, to be honest: it doesn't make much sense to remove features just because YOU don't use them. I think the User Groups are very important to many users. So are label sets.
[Sorry, I actually saw that the topic was to give personal feedback about those, I just saw your post and thought this was a request triggered by you - sorry. In this light your comments are of course totally valid! I should read the whole thread before posting... :( ]

Participant Database: What you are looking for is bascially a Online Access Panel software. From what I understand, this was not necessarily the purpose of the central participant database.

But actually, people can be assigned to multiple surveys with this feature. So what you want is mostly there. It is just lacking the registration. But I think, this is something you can put into a plugin or you could create a registration page yourself and then write the new registered users into the central participant datbase via the API (not sure if this feature is available though).

I think the Central Participants Database is essentially a project on it's own, if you want it to be a full featured panel administration software, because there would be a lot to include (main profile information for each respondent to be able to invite those within the necessary target group, filters for that, some kind of quality programm to check if respones in the surveys are consistent with what is registered in the profile / keep the profile up to date, some kind of point system to reward respondents, cleaning tools to find "dead" / unresponsive panelists, find panelists that haven't receive any invite in a while, etc.).

I am sure the team would be happy about any help. But actually, I guess it would be a nice "sister project" of Limesurvey and do the interchanges via API (e.g. feedback answers into the participants database from Limesurvey surveys, creating registration questionnaires via Limesurvey to fill the profile information, etc.)

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds
Dernière édition: il y a 2 ans 1 mois par holch.
Plus d'informations
il y a 2 ans 1 mois #126697 par holch
Here my 2 cents then, if personal opinions are the topic:

User groups:
I think, if implemented right, this would be great feature, especially for bigger companies. Currently I do things on a user by user basis, but it would be great once there are more people involved in the company that I could give different levels of rights, based on the group.
E.g. a programmer or admin of the installation would have all rights, but a normal researcher would allowed to use only things where he/she can't break anything. Then there would be interns/temporary employees who would have even less rights (e.g. only can create surveys, but can't delete them, etc. and then maybe external users like clients, translators, etc.

Label Sets:
I think this is a pretty good feature for certain surveys to avoid having to create several label sets or lists of answers. There are always certain label sets or list of answers that are repeated (either in the same survey) or over various surveys. Could I live without it if LS 3 is otherwise exeptional? Probably yes. Would I prefer to have it in LS: definitely yes.

Central participant database:
I am currently not using it, because it only works in very specific environments, the way it is implemented at the moment. Because we don't have currently a list of recurring participants. But if it would become more of a online access panel administration, then it would be very, very useful. But for this there must be quite a bit of work done I think. There would need to be a feature that allows the creation of questionnaires to register, but also the option to feed responses into the profile of people (e.g. what car, what mobile phone, how many people at home, etc.) to be able to create a profile of the respondents so that you can filter them on certain criteria and invite them to specific surveys.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Plus d'informations
il y a 2 ans 1 mois #126735 par first
first a répondu au sujet : Limesurvey 3 and removal of features.
User groups:- Never used.
Label Sets:- User very frequently. They are currently defined as global. Prefer to have them at survey level also.
Central participant database:- Never used.

Survey Designer and Programmer
Plus d'informations
il y a 2 ans 6 jours #128518 par romulusoprica
romulusoprica a répondu au sujet : Limesurvey 3 and removal of features.
Hi Sam!

I have a ideea for user groups / users permissions (if possible): to include a feature that will allow to administrator to set users permissions also by questions group.
E.g.: Lets say that I want to set a survey with 3 topics and allow user 1 to see / export only answers from question group 1 (corresponding to topic 1), user 2 to see / export only answers from question group 2 (corresponding to topic 2), and so on...
Thank you for your hard work!
Romulus

Romulus OPRICA
Plus d'informations
il y a 2 ans 6 jours #128529 par holch
Hahahaha, Sam was asking for getting rid of some features to make things simpler/easier, not adding new features. ;-)

Commencez dès maintenant !

Créez simplement un compte et commencez à utiliser LimeSurvey dès aujourd'hui.

Inscrivez-vous maintenant

Inscrivez-vous à notre Newsletter!