Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

CSV Export of survey results no longer appears to be valid CSV output

• trimbs
  • trimbs's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #169535 by trimbs
Hi,

When exporting survey results as CSV the results appear to be semi-colon separated in version 3.9.0, where as in version 2.72.5 the results were comma separated as you'd expect in CSV file.

Is this a deliberate change? If so why, as it would seem to make it invalid CSV? Is there any way I can make Limesurvey export as an actual Comma Separated Value file?

I'm also told by a user that End Of Line is now CR LF rather than LF, although that is not a change that makes it invalid CSV in itself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 9 months ago #169538 by holch
I think "can I do this with Limesurvey" is probably not the best forum for this. I guess "Development" would be the better forum. I can confirm that the separator is now ";".

If it is on purpose, it is probably because most people use Excel and Excel CSV has ";" as separator. But it might be just a mistake/bug.

I'll move this to the development section, because there you'll probably find more people that are involved in this than here.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• trimbs
More
5 years 9 months ago #169545 by trimbs
Err, CSV means Comma Separated Values so Comma is the separator and Excel conforms to this standard. Part of the problem is if you double click on the Limesurvey 3.9.0 created CSV file it opens in Excel and Excel doesn't understand the semi-colons instead of commas. This all used to work in Excel with Limesurvey 2.72.5.
  • holch
More
5 years 9 months ago #169546 by holch
As far as I know, Excel works with semi colon when creating CSVs, which has caused trouble from time to time here in the forum, because people used Excel and it had the wrong separator. But I might remember wrong.

I just tested it with Excel and saved a spread sheet as CSV (coma separated). And voila, it was saved separated by semicolon.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

More
5 years 9 months ago #169550 by jelo

trimbs wrote: Err, CSV means Comma Separated Values so Comma is the separator and Excel conforms to this standard.

Excel conforms to the list separator (mostly comma or semicolon) set in the language and region setting when using windows. Depending on your settings it may not work when doubleclicking the file.
You better use LibreOffice or CSVed ( csved.sjfrancke.nl ) for importing and editing CSV under the windows platform.
I won't rule out an issue in LimeSurvey when creating CSV.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • trimbs
More
5 years 9 months ago #169560 by trimbs
Thanks very much for clearing that up regarding Excel, Jelo

Although I realise now that this thread has gotten away from my initial question: why has Limesurvey changed the separator in its CSV exports of survey responses from comma to semi-colon? Without an option as far as I can tell to do CSV with a comma separator?
  • trimbs
More
5 years 9 months ago #169562 by trimbs
Or perhaps more to the point: now that the CSV separator has changed in Limesurvey from a comma to a semi-colon, can someone confirm this deliberate and will stay this way? And its not going to be changed back to comma at some point?
  • tpartner
More
5 years 9 months ago #169569 by tpartner
@trimbs, please file a bug report and provide a link here.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • holch
More
5 years 9 months ago #169582 by holch

Although I realise now that this thread has gotten away from my initial question: why has Limesurvey changed the separator in its CSV exports of survey responses from comma to semi-colon? Without an option as far as I can tell to do CSV with a comma separator?

Yes, I agree. It is strange that it has changed. For years we needed to explain to people that the MS Excel way is the wrong way and now LS is going down this route. I would say it was an error. But I could also imagine that there was a decision made to change it to the Excel way, because most people use Excel. No matter if it is the wrong specification or not.
As Tpartner says: the only way to find that out is to file a bug report and see what the response is.

• DenisChenu
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #169618 by DenisChenu

tpartner wrote: @trimbs, please file a bug report and provide a link here.

Yes, please !

1: we don't have to update this without spoking with all Dev … and user
2: it's not because excel is a dumb tool we must be dumb ourself

And CSV as his standard : www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4180.txt

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by DenisChenu.
  • trimbs
More
5 years 9 months ago #169626 by trimbs
Thanks all, I've reported this as a bug.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tpartner
  • tpartner
More
5 years 9 months ago #169627 by tpartner

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose