Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Session size in 3.0

• sterlingbates
  • sterlingbates's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #165370 by sterlingbates
Session size in 3.0 was created by sterlingbates
I saw a comment that Limesurvey 3.0 was going to have more optimized sessions and not create the really large sessions of previous limesurvey editions.

Does anyone know the back end of limesurvey enough to know if that is true?

Eg. this comment from sammousa here www.limesurvey.org/forum/can-i-do-this-w...ltaneous-connections .

Limesurvey 3.0 is broadly advertised as being faster, but when I look at the changelog from 2.7 to 3.0 I don't see anything talking about features that would be using smaller sessions etc..

Thanks in advance for clearing this up!

Sterling
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 1 month ago #165379 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Session size in 3.0
The 3.0 sammousa was talking about in this thread is not the same 3.x you are seeing today. As far as I know, the 3.0 sammousa is talking about did not go forward.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
More
6 years 1 month ago #165401 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Session size in 3.0

sterlingbates wrote: I saw a comment that Limesurvey 3.0 was going to have more optimized sessions and not create the really large sessions of previous limesurvey editions.

From the admin perspective I cannot see any size or performance improvement in the session handling.
Session size is still very big. Nothing has changed. Without SSD I wouldn't use LimeSurvey with filebased sessions.
Till today I haven never seen a webapplication creating such big session files at the start of a session. Cannot remember a webapp storing that much in a session anyway.

Frank Sinatra is in da house and singing "My way".

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 1 month ago #165434 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Session size in 3.0
yep, session is still quiet big for now, and huge when debug mode is on.
More
6 years 1 month ago #165441 by jelo
The 1MB size is mostly the minimum I have seen over the years (with debugmode off). Just in case someone wonder about what size to expect.

And the session file is created when someone access the surveylink. Just with the first hit you get a 1MB file created for each new client without a session. That is important in case your hosting is using /tmp as session path and session time is setup to allow long time surveys (e.g. B2B where people are doing the survey during work and get interrupted). Or when multiple surveys are done with one installation at the same time. If /tmp is restricted in size (which is not that uncommon), you might run into limits quick.

More
6 years 2 days ago #167372 by sperron
Replied by sperron on topic Session size in 3.0
Hello Guys,

There is a difference in session's file management between Windows or Linux. I'm on Windows now and I already have a lot of problems with big survey (with many concurrent participants). So I look to upgrade my server for better handling. Do you know if Linux is better for « session handling »?
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 2 days ago #167385 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Session size in 3.0
Linux is better for everything

(but it's a completely subjective point of view)
More
6 years 2 days ago #167390 by jelo

sperron wrote: Do you know if Linux is better for « session handling »?

The session size depends not on Linux or Windows. It depends on the Limesurvey PHP code.

Since LimeSurvey is mostly developed, used and tested under Linux you will get less issues running LS under Linux. If your issues get solved when switching to Linux is hard to tell. Personally I wouldn't run a webserver under a Windows OS. Too many updates with reboots on the OS level.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose