Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Country list - Country names with definite articles (e.g. "the United Kingdom").

• CoeusProject
  • CoeusProject's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 6 months ago #189027 by CoeusProject
Dear All:

I have a quick question about my survey and I couldn't find any answer in this forum.

In my survey I ask the respondents in a question about their nationality. They will have a list of countries to choose from.

In a later question I want to use this information in the text. For example, if a respondent is from Spain, the question would be something like "Do you think that Spain should do this or that?"

However, some countries have a definite article (e.g. the Netherlands, the United States etc). On the one hand, it may look strange to use this article in the list of countries to choose from. But, on the other hand, I need this article for grammatically correct questions.

Is there a way that the list of countries says e.g. "United States", but the question "the United States"?

Thank you for any help that you can provide.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 6 months ago #189028 by holch
No, I don't think so. The only chance that I see is that you could create a second list of countries, this time with "The...", have it hidden, mark the answer given in the first list also in the second list via Expression Manager and then pipe the text from the second hidden question into the question text, using .shown.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• CoeusProject
  • CoeusProject's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 6 months ago #189029 by CoeusProject
That's a clever idea. I didn't think about that. Thanks a lot.
  • tpartner
More
4 years 6 months ago #189031 by tpartner
You could also pipe in the article dynamically with Expression Manager.

- manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager...7BMrs.7D_Smith....22

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose