Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

change column-order listview Survey participants - How to?

• mad99
  • mad99's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #177891 by mad99
Hi,
can't find any settings or forum/Documentation articles and google shows no match for.

I would like to re-sort the column-order of listview from survey participants.

Now is
Aktion | ID | Firstname | Lastname | email-adress | e-mail-status | key | invitation sent? | ....

The more important «custom-fields» are shown in the very end. out of the default-viewbox. I have evertime scroll to see the crucial values.

- Is there a way to define the culumn-order by settings?

- Or by a settings.xml file or change twig-file?

- Or do I have to overwrite/hardcode the php-code? Which file?

Thank you for your help
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by mad99.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #177901 by holch
No idea if and how you can do that, but I would recommend to buy a bigger screen. ;-) :-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by holch.
  • mad99
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #177999 by mad99
Thanks for help and «idea» holch.

The bigger screen would be OK in theory.

In practicle daily-live: the screen/browser-window has to be at least 2365px wide.

I have two screens and in theory it would be possible to «widescreen» the list.

But in practicle I use the 3440px monitor for multy windows/programms beside the laptop window. Only 1 really wide windows does not help for easy work and overview :blush:

Also If I blow-up the window to full-width, for eyes is not nice to switch left-right more than 35cm each line.

Then, in time of «responsive»-web-plesure the idea for «only nice to work in wide-screens» sucks a bit:( (IMHO)

This days there are many people with one screen (only), and most of them are notebook-screens or much smaller.

I the situation with a notebook-screen (1440px wide macBook) there is a lot to scroll:

and after scroll, the main-information about «firstname»/«lastname» ist hidden.

So no really nice work with.

I guess and I'm quite sure, there will be some possibility to re-order the list. Also If therfore I have to hardcode the php-files (what I don't like because of update-problems.)
But maybe there is a much more daily-work-friendly and update-secure solution.

Would be great to get a output like this in only 1950px or less!

Maybe someone has a good idea, where I can looking/searching for?

Would be great. Cheers
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #178002 by LouisGac
First: you can export the data to Excel, and use excel to show your result.

Now, if you want to change the order of columns, you'll have to hack the core:
github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/blob/ma...cipants_view.php#L83

The idea is this one: create a variable called $aColumns to replace$model->columns. Set it before the widget TbGridView, withsomething like:

if ( sid != the sid of the survey that interest you) { $aColumns = $model->columns }else{ here your own array of columns in the order you want}

Here for example the defintion of the columns for the question list grid:
github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/blob/ma...estions.php#L63-L128

More info about it:
www.bsourcecode.com/2012/12/how-to-handle-cgridview-in-yii/
www.tutorialspoint.com/yii/yii_gridview_widget.htm
www.yiiplayground.com/index.php?r=UiModule/dataview/gridView

Becareful, if you change the core, your changes will be overwritten after update.
  • mad99
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #178007 by mad99
Great, Thank you LouisGac.

This helps 7 times:
1. I no longer have to think about a solution that may be easy to implement or adjust/set.
2. I know, I have to change the core (buuuaaahh:ohmy: :ohmy:)
3. I have the line of code for start my work
4. I have information about the way «to change in Yii»
5. Maybe there (in code) I find some code-hook to add some «update-surviving-solution».
6. Maybe there (in Yii docu) I find a good solution to write a simple and small plugin for out of the holy core.:dry:

7. AND MOST IMPORTANT: Your help make me sure, I didn't overlook the obvious and simple in the settings out of sheer blindness.

At least seven points to calm me down. :P

Thanks for all!

In a quiet minute, I'll try to tackle the whole thing.

[hr]

!!OffTopic!!

Back to your «First». What the hell is «Excel»?:whistle: :) :laugh:
No, export to Excel is not a working solution in this particular situation.
Because:
I check the «very important custom-properties» everytime, before I re-use the particular survey and send emails to new participants.
I have to be sure there is no fault in the data. Otherwise, all the questions, the welcome page, the video, the email and all the other stuff would say
«DU» instead of «SIE». In German language this point is very important. «Du» you say only to friends and close customers, for not such close relations to customer (known less long) in German you have to use «Sie».
Otherwise, the customer would be totally upset.

And second if I speak «swiss-german» to a «german people» in the video, they would think: «Does he have a speech disorder? Or is he nuts?»

So I have to check both of this custom-properties before I send emails: For my peace of mind and not to destroy business relationships.
To export, would not make peace in my mind
:(
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisGac
  • holch
More
5 years 3 months ago #178010 by holch
The bigger screen was more a joke. You are talking about custom attributes and of course they'll be shown after the standard attributes implemented by Limesurvey. I am not surprised.

One thing you can do to get a little bit more horizontal space is to minimize the vertical navigation to the left. You'd probably still not make it to your "important" attributes though.

Of course, ideally you would be able to rearrange the columns to your needs, but I think this is quite a bit of work of development, but I think that there are far more important features to tackle before this. This is what I would call a "comfort feature". Something that would be nice to have, that makes our life easier, but is not necessary to do what you want to do, because there are ways (that might be more difficult or tedious) to do it anyway. Of course, ideally those things would be implemented in LS, but as resources are always limited, priorities need to be made.

Currently with 3.x Limesurvey is more about fixing some things to make the new layout and theme system work, I have the impression. Hopefully in 4.x we see new features making it into the system.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• mad99
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #178013 by mad99

holch wrote: The bigger screen was more a joke.

Be sure, I heard your smile.:)

holch wrote: Of course, ideally those things would be implemented in LS, but as resources are always limited, priorities need to be made.

Sorry, english is not my mother tongue. This is why it is sometimes impossible or very difficult for me to illuminate the soft nuances.

To explain:
My Topic was not to to criticize LS or to demand an improvement. For second point a feature request would be better for. ;)
Therefore I didn't expected LS to «to have this». Of course it would be nice...
The reason for the topic was only: To ask,
- is possible?
- and if so, how I can adjust the system accordingly?

Be sure, I think LS is brilliant. The App offers everything I need to the current time. People and answers in the forum are very helpful and friendly, also with a unexperienced user like myself.
I would never "demand" points of change in an OpenSource project.

It was only a question: how to.

Thanks for your thoughts and time
Cheers
Martin
  • holch
More
5 years 3 months ago #178014 by holch

Sorry, english is not my mother tongue. This is why it is sometimes impossible or very difficult for me to illuminate the soft nuances.

Don't worry, I understood it this way. I just wanted to highlight the limited resources, because it is sometimes easy to forget. I make this mistake myself. I find LS an exceptional example of great open source software that makes a difference. Are there better survey systems out there? For sure! But there are also far bigger teams behind them and a lot more budget. I find it surprising how far LS has come over the years.

By the way, my native language is probably the same as yours, based on your screenshots. ;-)

• mad99
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #178017 by mad99

holch wrote: By the way, my native language is probably the same as yours, based on your screenshots. ;-)

Maybe :whistle:

Sometimes print screens are not detailed enough:
Do German-speaking people sometimes look at you weird and you can read their thoughts: «HÄÄäähh?!??»
Then you are right:)

mad99 wrote: if I speak «swiss-german» to a «german people» in the video, they would think: «Does he have a speech disorder? Or is he nuts?»(

So: «same same» - or - «same same, but different»?:laugh:
Cheers
Martin
  • holch
More
5 years 3 months ago #178018 by holch
When I speak in my local dialect, yes, some other Germans will look at me strangely as well. But I guess in this case it is more "same but different" I guess.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose