Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Number of attributes finite or extendable (text / blob instead of varchar)

• ABertogg
  • ABertogg's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 5 months ago #176148 by ABertogg
Hi everyone
First, thanks in advance for reading my post and trying to understand my issue. I am quite new to LimeSurvey.

I am currently setting up a survey with a choice experiment (respondents choose 6 times from 3 options). We did that in a factorial survey (vignette study) style, defining a universe with 2000+ combinations and sampled 450 combinations. these combinations were combined into 25 decks with 18 (6 times 3) vignettes. The sets are randomized to respondents
To display the whole thing I built 6 questions (matrix) with a table, the contents of the vignettes should be displayed through tokes (attributes, though). see attachment 1 (ansicht). Its in German.

So I defined the necessary number of attributes which are filled with the real values of the vignettes assigned. BUT, and here I got stuck: I do not manage to create the number of attributes needed.
see screenshot attached (error). I get stuck at 123 attributes, but I need 129, so only 6 missing. very annoying.

This per se seems not to be problematic, as the error message suggests, since i could change the attribute type to text and free up space for additional attributes. I definitely do not need 255 characters per attribute. Only: I did not find out how and where to do it, even after an extensive forum and google search.

Is anyone familiar with changing attributes form varchar(255) to text and could provide me with some hints how to fix my issue.

Help is gratefully appreciated,
Best
Ariane
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #176213 by Joffm
Hi, Ariane,

my first idea is: Do not to store the attributes as text but as an integer code.
Then the buzzword is micro-tayloring.
Display the text with something like

{if(code==12345,"This is text 12345",if(code==12346,"This is text 12346",....))}

To avoid the language gap you might ask again - with an example of your approach - in the German section.

Best regards
Joffm

And - of course - you can change the type of a column with a tool like "phpMyAdmin" or "Toad" or ...
But this is your responsibility.

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Joffm.
  • ABertogg
  • ABertogg's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 5 months ago #176253 by ABertogg
Hi Joffm

thanks a bunch for your tip! I also thought micro-tayloring would be my plan B to solve the issue.
Since I have 25 decks and thus 25 randomization groups, this is going to mean copy and pasting a lot of text in each and every cell, which is more error prone. I would have preferred the "elegant" way with the attributes, but sometimes one needs a cheap and easy quick fix ;)

Best wishes
Ariane

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose