Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Hidden question not recording in response table after pre-filling from URL

• maxersloan
  • maxersloan's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 8 months ago #171115 by maxersloan
Hi everyone,

I've seen some similar posts about this, but nothing has been directly related to my issue...

I distributed 36 URL's, with each having a different answer prefilled on a hidden question (which is the first question--it allows me to identify which store the response is coming from). But the problem is that there are ~40 responses (out of ~1800) that did not have their store recorded in the response table for that first question (single choice "radio"). This
is valuable data that I cannot use because I don't know the locations of the respondents. Below are the details:

URL Format: http://www.example.../index.php/123456?newtest=Y&123456X123X1234=1

Version 2.6.4-lts Build 170202

After reading through the forums and manual, the only causes that I can imagine would be either:

(1) an issue with the URL format. The format I'm using is the same format I have always used. It seems to work fine. But in the manual I found these, which are different from what I have. But when I tried these formats, it did not work.

Example Single-Choice:

http://www.example.../index.php?sid=1234&1234X43X123=A2

With 2.0, if your url is like this /survey/sid/1234, you have to use:

http://www.example.../survey/sid/1234/1234X43X123/A2

(2) The survey has the welcome screen enabled. So when someone clicks the link, it goes to the welcome page before getting to the first question group (which contains that hidden, pre-filled question). I did see in the manual that it said the survey should be executed immediately:

This feature will only work where the survey is commenced immediately upon entering the URL (so it won't work if you use CAPTCHA's to restrict access, or the registration page).

So perhaps I should disable the welcome screen? Or does this not matter?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. I know I'm not on the latest version, but I'm holding onto the LTS version because I am much more familiar with customizing the templates.
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 8 months ago #171117 by DenisChenu
40 responses out of ~1800 … maybe some user remove the part to get the survey. Or copy paste the link after start, close browser and start link.

Another solution : did you look at DB / VV export if all value exist in this single choice question (i have this issue one time : we add the link, but not the answer in the single choice question … :/)

Else : all your settings seems OK for me.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • maxersloan
  • maxersloan's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 8 months ago #171122 by maxersloan
Thanks Dennis. Yes, each answer option was created. I even have at least one response from each location.

So you don't think the welcome screen is causing this? That is the only other cause that I can imagine.
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 8 months ago #171124 by DenisChenu

maxersloan wrote: So you don't think the welcome screen is causing this? That is the only other cause that I can imagine.

No, i do,'t think. If there was a real issue : you have more than 40 user's with this issue.

Maybe another thing : user start survey, delete his answer, restart survey. The prefilled value is lost.

PS : next time : if you really need specific url : create 36 tokens and set surveys settings : "Enable token-based response persistence" to NO and "Allow multiple responses or update responses with one token" to yes.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose