Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

multiple choice with negative assessment values

• jucajuca
  • jucajuca's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #170693 by jucajuca
Hi,

I'm trying to create an online quiz. One of the questions is a multiple choice question.
What I want to achieve is the following: For each right option the user gets +1 point. For each wrong option the user gets -1.

For example: Which words have more than four letters
- Alligator (+1)
- Spider (+1)
- Duck (-1)
- Dog (-1)

If the user picks two wrong choices the overall assessment should be decreased, even if it results in a negative number.

However I have the following problems:

- Multiple choice questions do have an assessment value that can not be set to 0.
-- > This causes every ticked choice to add more to the assessment.
--> Can I disable this behavior? - This would solve the problem.

- I tried creating an equation question like so:

{sum( sum(G1Q00004_SQ001.value == 'Y', G1Q00004_SQ002.value == 'Y') - sum(G1Q00004_SQ003.value == 'Y', G1Q00004_SQ006.value == 'Y'))}

It seems that if the result is negative Lime Survey ignores it. So the assessment goes back to "Unkown".
So the equation does not fully work. because of the problem mentioned above. And it is not a clean method (I would have to take two minus points for each wrong option).

Thanks for your help!

LS: Version 3.12.1+180616
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by jucajuca.
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 8 months ago #170741 by tpartner
I would ignore assessments and use pure Expression Manager to calculate the "score".

Something like this in the equation question:

Code:
{sum(G1Q00004_SQ001 == 'Y', G1Q00004_SQ002 == 'Y') - sum(G1Q00004_SQ003 == 'Y', G1Q00004_SQ004 == 'Y')}

Sample survey attached:

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...04-3.lss
File Size:25 KB

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • jucajuca
More
5 years 8 months ago #170743 by jucajuca
OK thanks,
I manually set in the DB the assessment value of the question to 0.

How can I add the result of the expression manager to the overall assessment of the Survey? - At the end we will display rankings based on the score of the participant.
  • tpartner
More
5 years 8 months ago #170747 by tpartner
Again, I say ignore assessments and do everything with pure Expression Manager. You can use Expression Manager to tailor the text/HTML for your rankings display.

- manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager#Tailoring.2FPiping

I have no idea why you would manually adjust the database.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • jucajuca
More
5 years 8 months ago #170784 by jucajuca
THANK YOU!

I think the documentation is a bit misleading. It should be clearly stated that the assessment tool can not be used in combination with Expression Manager.

And it took a long time to figure out "where" the data is stored. If someone is wondering the results of a expression are stored in the code/value of the question. So basically you can use questions a variables.
  • tpartner
More
5 years 8 months ago #170794 by tpartner

I think the documentation is a bit misleading. It should be clearly stated that the assessment tool can not be used in combination with Expression Manager.

That's not exactly true - the Expression Manager qCode.value variable will return the assessment value. I just find it easier to stick with pure EM.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose