Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Registration and tokens

• lyndsiesal
  • lyndsiesal's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago #168109 by lyndsiesal
Registration and tokens was created by lyndsiesal
Hello! I recently switched to Lime from a paid subscription and it's great. So far I have managed to create my templates and two surveys to my liking but I'm stuck. I don't fully understand tokens and the registration process. Basically, I do not want my surveys to be public but to be accessible through a URL with registration. I would like to be able to send the link via email or wherever I share it and then the participant enter their email address to proceed. Any help is appreciated. I've gone through the manual and I'm just not finding the info. Thanks!
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 10 months ago #168111 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Registration and tokens
Hi,

I would like to be able to send the link via email

So you know the participants?

Then you should create a participants table, and enter their name (or dummy) and email, best by csv-file.
manual.limesurvey.org/Survey_participant...ants_from_a_CSV_file

After creating a token just send out the invitation and the participants can enter the survey with the sent link.
manual.limesurvey.org/Survey_participant...ations_.26_reminders

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • lyndsiesal
More
5 years 10 months ago #168647 by lyndsiesal
Replied by lyndsiesal on topic Registration and tokens
Thank you, Joffm. I'm still having a hard time with this. I uploaded a CSV with the participants, created a token, but when I try to send an email invite I get this.
Warning
There were no eligible emails to send. This will be because none satisfied the criteria of:

having a valid email address
not having been sent an invitation already
having already completed the survey
having a token
  • lyndsiesal
More
5 years 10 months ago #168648 by lyndsiesal
Replied by lyndsiesal on topic Registration and tokens
Ideally I would like to simply have a url to my survey and send that via my third party email/newsletter service but I don't fully understand this token access setup.
  • holch
More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #168653 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Registration and tokens
OK, so first of all I think we need to clarify the basics and you are once talking about creating tokens, then you don't want to, etc.

So there are different options on how to provide access to your survey:
- A public survey: this means that anyone who has the link can access the survey, no restrictions. This is good when you don't know who your respondents are and you want to allow anyone to participate that has the link. So the link could be shared via email, social media, you name it. You have no control over who responds and who your respondents are, because the link can be shared by others, etc.
- Closes survey: This means people need to have the token to be able to participate. A token is like a little individual and unique code. So if someone accesses your survey they need to put the token or if you send individualized links the token can be already included in the link. Tokens can have one or more uses. Standard is one, which means once the survey has been completed with this token, it can not be completed again.

So now in your case: you want to send your survey via your normal email marketing tool to respondents. So far so good. But: do you want to allow everyone to participate? Then you can send just the normal survey link of a open survey. No need to use tokens. But you will not know who answered what, there is no way to connect results with the person (only if you ask who they are in the survey).

If you know who your participants are, the best way is to create a closed survey with individualized links. Your error message sounds like you did not create the CSV file correctly. The best way to do so is to create one user with token and everything in the system, then export this token table to CSV, have a look at the structure and build your CSV based on that. You probably did not use the correct headers or something. If you want to, you can post an example of your CSV here (e.g. a screenshot with the personal data of the respondents like name, email, etc. blurred), so we can have a look at what went wrong.

Now if you want to send individualized links, but with your own system, this is also possible, you just can't use the bounce system and the reminders. There is an example in the manual on how to create a a list of individualized links with excel ( manual.limesurvey.org/Tokens/en#A_tip_fo...de_the_token_already ). You can feed these links into your Email system then.

But first of all, it would be important that you explain clearly what your ideal approach would be and we can suggest options from there. You are jumping back and forth and it is not clear for us, what you have, what you need, etc.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by holch.
  • tammo
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
5 years 10 months ago #168659 by tammo
Replied by tammo on topic Registration and tokens
After you upload the CSV, you will have to generate tokens. Maybe you did not do this yet?

Tammo

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl
More
5 years 1 month ago #179942 by kate92
Replied by kate92 on topic Registration and tokens
Hi, I'm new at all this and English is not my strog side so I need hepl. I'm not trying to make a servey, but to use this tool in attmpt to make a list.

So, I want parents to fill out this servey for their kids who should start school in next Seprember since I don't know who or how many kids are comming to our school.

I would like them to fill the servey out and receve an unique ID per email, after they are done. Can this be done?

Thank you in advanse and sorry for spelling errors.
  • Joffm
More
5 years 1 month ago #179943 by Joffm
Hi, Kate,

well, the easiest way just to send them a unique ID is to send the so called {SAVEDID}.
This is the ID in the answer table.

And you can display some text including this ID in the end message. So no email is necessary.

Or you include it in the email confirmation and pipe the answer of the email question into the email address field.

Best regards
Joffm

You should have started a new thread for your question, as it seems not to be related to the topic of this thread.

Volunteers are not paid.
More
5 years 1 month ago #179944 by kate92
Thank you very much, I'll try that.
I asked the question here, because I entered myself as user, gave myself a token and have activated allow public registration, I couldn't fill it out. If I "list it publicly" it asks for token, and in the invitation mail there is no token.
If I turn on "allow public registration" when I give Name, Surname and mail, but got error page, url of sevey doesn't ...something.

So I googled "limesevey, registration, token" in hope to see some pictures or siple tutorial what to do, and this link showed and I registered hoping to get some help.

Sorry
  • Joffm
More
5 years 1 month ago #179946 by Joffm
Hi, kate,

and I missed to ask you how the respondents get knowledge of your survey.

Do you know the potential respondents before? I do not think so.

Is there a generic link on e.g. the homepage of the school?
Do you want them to register for the survey? In this case they get a unique token, like password, and IMO it's not necessary to send another one later.
Or is anybody allowed to answer without registering? In this case you really should use the SAVEDID to be able to find the answers of certain persons.

So, please tell us.
And don't forget to mention your LS version.

Best regards
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
More
5 years 1 month ago #179948 by kate92
Good Morning :)
So, it's like this.
We have school web site. I want to put link of the sevrey there so that all parents who wish their kid to go to our school can fill it out. Normaly all the info about that would as usual be in the News section of the website.
I don't know in advenace who will fill the servey out, that is why I wonted to try this, to get some list, an idea how many kids are comming to us.
It should go like this.

I publish the sefvey in the News section on school website.
Parents fill it out and get a unique ID code.
I export data into Excel if possible and edit/add appointments for each kid with the school doctor, dentist...
I then publish a list of ID codes with appointments on our website. Parents look for their ID code in that list and know when their kid has an appointment.

I tryed what you said in the firs answer but I didn't get it done yet. Have to read the manual First, again:)
More
5 years 1 month ago #179949 by kate92
Version 2.67.1+170626

Forgot you asked this to

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose