Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Problem adding a user

• blake1024
  • blake1024's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #128916 by blake1024
Problem adding a user was created by blake1024
Greetings,

I am using LimeSurvey 2.06+. I am unable to add a user and associate him to a survey. The following lists the problems:

1. The docs say to click the lock icon at the top to add a user. When I mouse over the lock icon, it says "Manage survey administrators". Shouldn't it say "Manage users" (and we can assume that a user could be flagged an administrator)? Took me some playing around to figure out that's where you add non-administrators too.

2. I added a user group. When I go into the user group, I see the admin user. Good. But now I want to add my regular user too. I expand the Username dropdown and I see and select the user I added. Fine. Then I click the "Add user" button. The system responds with:

Failed to add user.
User already exists in the group.

I have two users in the system; "admin" and "Blake". "admin" is showing as a member of my group, but I can't add "Blake".

I'm kind of lost. Sure appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Blake
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 4 months ago #128918 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Problem adding a user
OK. Actually, this is a little "inconsistency" in Limesurvey.

The Limesurvey users (someone with access to the administration) is called a administrator. You can give those people different rights. then there is the term "superadministrator", which are those administrators that can basically do everything and are responsible for the installation.

I hope this makes it a little clearer?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• blake1024
  • blake1024's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #128920 by blake1024
Replied by blake1024 on topic Problem adding a user
Thanks, that help, but I am still unclear.

I think what you said is that a "user" is really an administrator (at one level or another). Is that correct?

What about people, not administrators, that are taking the survey? What are they called? Participants? How do I add these people?

Thanks!

Blake
  • tpartner
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #128927 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Problem adding a user
Yes, Holch is correct, "Users" are admins of some level. "Participants" are survey respondents. They can be added via Tokens or the Central Participants Database .

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by tpartner.
More
6 years 2 months ago #162859 by frisket
Replied by frisket on topic Problem adding a user
1. No, because in LimeSurvey, users (survey owners) are called "administrators". This was a linguistic error. Yes, in the Real World™ they would normally be called users or (better) survey owners).
2. This is a bug: you can't add users ("administrators") to a group in 2.06+. You have to upgrade to do this.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 2 months ago #162881 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Problem adding a user
permission system and user system would be one of the big changes for next major release (LS 4.x)
More
6 years 2 months ago #162902 by frisket
Replied by frisket on topic Problem adding a user
Once you get used to it, it's fine, and works extremely well. It's just slightly weird compared with the way the rest of the software world thinks of things :-)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose