Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Token-based persistence VS. Conditions

• mascarpone
  • mascarpone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 11 months ago #108447 by mascarpone
Token-based persistence VS. Conditions was created by mascarpone
Dear All,

I am not sure whether this is actually a bug or simply a normal behaviour. Here is what I noticed:

In one of my surveys, I have used the conditions as an index basically: that is in my first question group I ask the participants which sectiosn they want to fill in through a multiple answer question and based on their choice they are taken only to the sections they want.

Problem is I also allow my participants to come back to the survey later a fill in other sections - with the token-based persistence. I have noticed, in the latest realease (Version 2.05+ Build 140502) that if sections are "de-selected" then the answers will also be deletd when I come back to my survey.

For sure I'll now use the INDEX function as it is designed exactly for that purpose, but just wanted to notify that in case it is an unwanted behaviour,

Mas
The topic has been locked.
More
9 years 11 months ago #108518 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Token-based persistence VS. Conditions
Not sure what the index function is. Is there a special one in Limesurvey?

You might add your surveyfile or a small example file to let others test.

If I got it right, you use e.g. a radio button question as a menu, where one can choose different survey parts. You call it multiple answer. How can they fill out other parts when they come back?
I currently have the impression that survey behaviour is correct, but without an example I still don't understand how participants can deselect after they left the index/menu screen and began filling out their selected parts.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: mascarpone
  • mascarpone
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 10 months ago #108983 by mascarpone
Replied by mascarpone on topic Token-based persistence VS. Conditions
Hi Jelo,

By Index, I meant the "question index" that allows participants move from one question group to the other without necessarily following the normal path back and forth.

What I had before was a multiple choice question where I asked participants which section (i.e. question group) they wanted to fill in. Depending on what they selected, only the relevant question groups would appear in the questionnaire. But if they got back later to the survey and unselected the section previously filled (to select others), the data they had previously entered in those section was erased.

It sounds logical in a way that if the condition of a question is not met then any potential answers in the DB are cancelled - just that I didn't expect that to happen,

Does that make more sense?
More
9 years 10 months ago #108986 by jelo

mas_carpone wrote: By Index, I meant the "question index" that allows participants move from one question group to the other without necessarily following the normal path back and forth.

Ok, that function. I am ignoring that feature since the first day ;-) Other survey tools offer such a feature for debugging/testusers and not for survey participants.

mas_carpone wrote: It sounds logical in a way that if the condition of a question is not met then any potential answers in the DB are cancelled - just that I didn't expect that to happen

IMHO this is a intended behavior. No bug.

To split the survey in different parts and link surveys via ExitURLs won't work with the token persistence.

An untested idea: No question index function. Use the multiplechoice screen as menu/index again. Prevent deselection of once selected items. The tricky part is how to prevent deselection of already selected parts. Rules/Conditions/Different Versions of menu screens/Relevance Rules

How many parts can be selected/deselected?
If you don't use the question index function, people would have to hit the back button till they got to a selection/menu screen (like you did in the first place), right?

What about this way:
Let's say you have 4 parts which can be selected.

Instead of offering a complete menu, you could do it this way:

1.) Start of Survey
2.) Ask "The survey has different parts..."
Answer 1: I want to fill out Part A"
Answer 2: I'm not interested in Part A, but the other Parts look interesting..
Answer 3: I want to quit the survey
3.) Part A
4.) Ask "The survey has different parts..."
Answer 1: I want to fill out Part B"
Answer 2: I'm not interested in Part B, but the other Parts look interesting..
Answer 3: I want to quit the survey
4.) Part B
etc.

Not a 100% workaround, but parts can be skipped and token is working. And only one survey is needed.

• DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 10 months ago #109034 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Token-based persistence VS. Conditions

mas_carpone wrote: ...

I have noticed, in the latest realease (Version 2.05+ Build 140502) that if sections are "de-selected" then the answers will also be deletd when I come back to my survey.

It's the normal behaviour, unrelevant question are set to NULL.

You can change this situation with deletenonvalues settings.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
9 years 10 months ago #109049 by jelo

DenisChenu wrote: You can change this situation with deletenonvalues settings.

@mas_carpone

You will have do edit /application/config/config.php in 'config'=>array() and add
$deletenonvalues==0

Please read the section and the top of the page to know what to do:
manual.limesurvey.org/Optional_settings#Survey_Behavior

@DenisChenu
Interesting, when was this option added ? LS 2.X?

• DenisChenu
More
9 years 10 months ago #109052 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Token-based persistence VS. Conditions

jelo wrote: You will have do edit /application/config/config.php in 'config'=>array() and add
$deletenonvalues==0

must be 'deletenonvalues'=>0,

jelo wrote: @DenisChenu
Interesting, when was this option added ? LS 2.X?

Since 1.92 or before.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • mascarpone
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 10 months ago #109320 by mascarpone
Replied by mascarpone on topic Token-based persistence VS. Conditions
Ok makes a lot of sense (I was actually misusing that function so no surprise... :whistle: )
I'll keep it standard and use the incremental Index (which functions perfectly well)

Thanks for feedback and suggestions!

Samuel

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose