Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Export numeric values instead of text using an array

• llefebvre
  • llefebvre's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #192574 by llefebvre
Hello everyone,

I have just started using Limesurvey and I struggle to do things that seem very basic in other survey creation tools. The idea is to create a 6-point scale using an array. However, I want to use text as label but get numbers for the export (easier for me to compute that in excel after that).

It looks like this:

Basically I would like to have 6, 1, and 3 for the export instead of the text Excellent(6), Terrible(1), -3.

I tried to use assessment at some point but it is definitely not the right tool to do that. I also investigated the creation of a custom 5-point scale question but creating a new question template is not very documented (and seems very complicated for my skill set).

If someone has an idea of how I could do that, please let me know.
Thank you.

Edit: I can apparently do that using the answer codes. However in the case of bipolar question, I cannot use negative number as code (e.g. "-3", "-2", "-1"). I could use only positive numbers but it felts overall wrong to do it this way.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by llefebvre.
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #192576 by Joffm
You should export the answer codes - not the answer text, and change your coding from "A1", "A2",... to numerical codes.

I can apparently do that using the answer codes. However in the case of bipolar question, I cannot use negative number as code (e.g. "-3", "-2", "-1"). I could use only positive numbers but it felts overall wrong to do it this way.

Yes, that's a point.
But this is a matter of your statistic tool.
Either you just add a recoding to your spss syntax file, or you use a formula or create a small macro in EXCEL.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Joffm.
  • llefebvre
  • llefebvre's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 3 months ago #192577 by llefebvre
Thanks, I'm gonna tweak it in Excel :)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose