Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

subquestion variable names

• zaorivee
  • zaorivee's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #188139 by zaorivee
subquestion variable names was created by zaorivee
I am a relatively new user of LimeSurvey. I have followed other examples online to create a Likert item with a seven-point response scale using an array question that has a single subquestion. I set subquestion width to 0 so that the presentation is symmetrical.

This all works and is almost exactly the behavior I am looking for. The result is:

This is great! However, when I download the data, each item in the scale has a variable name of the form:

scale01[SC001]

I can tell that the "[SC001]" is coming from the subquestion name. Since each scale item has only one subquestion, this string carries no information value. For example, I get variables like:

scale01[SC001]
scale02[SC001]
scale03[SC001]

And so forth.

I would prefer the variable names to be of the form scale01 (with no subquestion info).

Is there any way to get rid of the subquestion info in the variable name, or will I have to rename the variable in my data analysis script?

Thanks!
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by zaorivee.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 7 months ago #188141 by holch
Replied by holch on topic subquestion variable names
This is necessary because you "violate" an array question type. ;-)

The array question type expects more than one subquestion, thus it is important to show which subquestion this answer option belongs to.

Without changing the question type you'd probably won't get rid of this [SC001]. You'd have to remove it manually later.

However the whole thing looks strange as it is shown. First of all why do you give the answer options codes like "scale01", etc? This will create difficulties when doing calculations with these answers. And, usually the [SC001] wouldn't show up, only as the title of the column maybe and I don't think this should be a problem. Could you post an LSS with just this question for us to have a look at? The format looks really strange to me.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Joffm
More
4 years 7 months ago #188155 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic subquestion variable names

I have followed other examples online to create a Likert

Which examples online?

This is a normal array, as described here:
manual.limesurvey.org/Question_type_-_Array

If you do it correctly, you will get a result you can use.

With this subquestion setting

and these answer options (of course numerical codes, because later in your analysis you will calculate means, std.deviations, t-tests, and other statistical tests.)

you get this:

and in the answer table this result

And later, when you export your results to EXCEl or SPSS you are asked if you'd like to export the text or the code.

Joffm

I'd really appreciate if you'd send your version as lss-export.

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • zaorivee
More
4 years 7 months ago #188160 by zaorivee
Replied by zaorivee on topic subquestion variable names
Attached is a minimal working example lss with one question group and two scale items.

The scale items are named scale01 and scale02. In a production survey, I would use more meaningful variable names, but this is just for demonstration.

I understand why array questions with multiple subquestions need to use variable names that incorporate the subquestion name as well since each subquestion stores a different value and requires a separate column in the database and any export format.

I am only using array type questions because I was unable to figure out otherwise how to use a seven point likert scale.

Here is one post suggesting to use an array item to make a seven point likert question:

www.limesurvey.org/forum/design-issues/1...7-point-likert-scale

This feels like something of a hack, even though it works, so if there is a better way any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • zaorivee
More
4 years 7 months ago #188161 by zaorivee
Replied by zaorivee on topic subquestion variable names
holch, my initial post was only about question codes and subquestions, not answer codes.

The label set I use has number values (see lss attached to other response).

The [SC001] text showing up in the title of the column is the problem I am trying to address. It is not a big problem, but it seems like something that will likely confuse others and require additional data cleaning code.
  • Joffm
More
4 years 7 months ago #188189 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic subquestion variable names

This feels like something of a hack, even though it works, so if there is a better way any suggestions would be appreciated.

Of course it is not a hack, but in the mentioned post the thread starter didn't understand the predefined "5-point-scale" and wanted to have a "7-point-scale". Without realizing that this is only a subset of the "normal" array question for the "lazy ones".

It is like buying a car.
There is one model in the showroom. You pay and take it as it is. That's the lazy option - the 5-point-scale.
Or you like to have a more customized car. Then you use the normal array, where you have all options.

Now your survey:
I do not see anything strange here:

Everything as expected:
1st line: questionCode_subquestionCode (you may rename these)
2nd line: question text
3rd...: answer (text and code)

If i compare this to your initially "scale01[SC001]" it looks like your ansercode was "SC001" and your answer text was "scale01"

I am only using array type questions because I was unable to figure out otherwise how to use a seven point likert scale.

No, the answer is, because with an array you get the best look and feel.
Of course you may use a list(radios). But it consumes too much space.

And with an array you may show all your items in one question.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose