Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Checkboxes combined with open ended question

• tixeon
  • tixeon's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #176189 by tixeon
I want to combine a checkbox question with an open ended question so that respondents can click on a 'don't know' checkbox if they have nothing to type. For example:

So, hide the question text for the second question. This needs to work in both full screen and mobile mode.

I had a script I used to use in the old version, but it doesn't work in the new one (I realise it will also need updating to multiple-opt instead of list-radio, I tried that and it won't work).

Code:
<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">  
  $(document).ready(function(){
    // Identify this questions    
    var qTextDisplay = $('#question{QID}');
    var qRadio = $(qTextDisplay).nextAll('.list-radio:eq(0)');
    // Radio question styles
    $(qRadio).css({
      'margin-top': '-10px'
    });
    $('td.questiontext', qRadio).parent().css({
      'display': 'none'
    });
  });
</script>

I am using Limesurvey Pro Version 3.15.1
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 4 months ago #176195 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Checkboxes combined with open ended question

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 4 months ago #176203 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Checkboxes combined with open ended question
I really need to update gitlab.com/SondagesPro/QuestionSettingsType/checkboxForText plugin

Currently not working in 3.X

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
5 years 4 months ago #176208 by holch

I really need to update gitlab.com/SondagesPro/QuestionSettingsType/checkboxForText plugin.
Currently not working in 3.X

And that is why many don't like the plugin approach for things like this. This is a feature that many other survey systems have out of the box. OK, we can create it in LS with a plugin, but when a new version comes out, plugins might not be up to date yet, which means LS looses a feature.

Don't get me wrong, your plugins and your work is great. But if we put every new feature (and this one is not an uncommon request, this is a pretty standard approach in research) into a plugin, LS will not progress and with every new version, LS will be lacking a lot of features when a new version comes out, which will also cause less people to update, if they depend on certain features with their surveys.

I think this checkbox for text feature should be a core feature.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tixeon
  • tpartner
More
5 years 4 months ago #176210 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Checkboxes combined with open ended question
I don't understand what the problem is with using two questions and a little styling.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • holch
More
5 years 4 months ago #176216 by holch

I don't understand what the problem is with using two questions and a little styling.

It is certainly not a problem for you. You create things like that in a few seconds. However, there are many people out there that are users of survey software, but not necessarily programmers. And for those these workarounds, while great to have at all, are often major hurdles and make the development of a questionnaire so much more complicated and time consuming than rather having the option within the question configuration.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• DenisChenu
More
5 years 4 months ago #176228 by DenisChenu

holch wrote: And that is why many don't like the plugin approach for things like this.

Don't tell me Core feature is better than plugin feature …

See all core feature broken during some month * …

Core is really more hard to fix than plugin :), with a plugin : if it don't work for your : you can more easily update and fix it even without PHP dev know : less line is more easy than a BIG core system .

Denis
* If you want example : just ask … i have a lot …

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • holch
More
5 years 4 months ago #176231 by holch
Yes, core features are often broken, but then I can consider the application as "not stable" or "not complete". If a plugin suddenly is not working, the application is still working 100%, but might not work for me, because i need the plugin for some reason.

Core is really more hard to fix than plugin :), with a plugin :

I can't judge this, as I am not a developer, so I just have to accept it.

Anyway, I think important/often used features should be a core plugin at least, because then you still have the ease of updating/fixing, but it needs to work before a stable version is shipped.

• DenisChenu
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #176232 by DenisChenu

holch wrote: Yes, core features are often broken, but then I can consider the application as "not stable" or "not complete".

Then : LimeSurvey is unstable since a lot of years…

Why do you think wordpress, or drupal or spip or even prestashop or magento seems nude when install from scratch :)

PS
Anyway, I think important/often used features should be a core plugin [strike]at least[/strike], because then you still have the ease of updating/fixing, but it needs to work before a stable version is shipped.

I remove the at least : i think it can be core plugin (or modules or question template or anything else) but currently : not added to core functionnality.

Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by DenisChenu.
  • holch
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #176235 by holch

Then : LimeSurvey is unstable since a lot of years…

Exactly...

Why do you think wordpress, or drupal or spip or even prestashop or magento seems nude when install from scratch

And with Drupal this is actually an issue. Many users are still on old versions of Drupal, must because the modules they require are not ported to newer versions (yet). However, Drupal supports older versions with security updates, now from what I see the LTS for 2.06+ was only because 2.x wasn't stable or usable in productive environments for quite a while after its release (in my opinion).

If we wouldn't have your plugins and Tpartner's workarounds, LS would only be worth half of what it is. And while it is great to have these, they depend on exactly 1 person. This is not a very sustainable approach, I'd say. It is great to have these workarounds/plugins at all, because they allow you to do things that otherwise would not be possible within LS out of the box. But I don't think that they are very user friendly for most of the LS users. Many of our users are total beginners with no real experience in programming, etc. So in the long run, the most used workarounds should become features one day, in my opinion. How they are implemented into core, I don't really care. If it is a core plugin, or a module or whatever you want to call it.

But this might be just my point of view of how a survey system should work.

Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by holch.
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 4 months ago #176237 by DenisChenu

holch wrote: …
And while it is great to have these, they depend on exactly 1 person. This is not a very sustainable approach, I'd say.

Since all my code is public , it can be updated by anyone .

And it's already the case , even if i don't know where (i can confirm i see my code updated 2 times on my clinet server).

• holch
More
5 years 4 months ago #176239 by holch

Since all my code is public , it can be updated by anyone.

It can be updated, yes. And it is great. But let's be honest, how likely is that?
If you don't update your plugins, they will not be updated. There might be exceptions, but...

We need to be realistic. This is open source. It can be used and modified by anyone. But we see in our daily practice that there are very few that are able to do so and even less that are willing to do so.

I am sure your code has been used and modified many times. But most probably improvements have not been given back to community/you.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose