Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Exit intent survey (or what is the easiest means of web page integration?)

• phplist
  • phplist's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #166323 by phplist
Hi All, we'd like to use LimeSurvey for an Exit Intent survey, like this .

It seems like there is no specific script for using LimeSurvey for this purpose. Therefore the question becomes: what is the easiest way of integrating a simple (e.g. single question) survey into a web page popup? The Remote Control API seems like it would be overkill for a survey so trivial, but I have not found any auto-generated scripts to embed a survey into a third party page.

Would would the easiest approach be? Thanks

Open Source email marketing and analytics established in 2000. Available self-hosted, and with fully managed plans at phplist.com.
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #166329 by tpartner
You could place the survey in an iframe.

...but I would use the API...

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • holch
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #166330 by holch
I guess you will have to develop the script that triggers the survey to open in a layer/div. You can include a survey via an iframe or there is also "object", which I just recently found out about. However, I haven't tested if it really works with limesurvey or not.
Code:
<object type="text/html" data="http://localhost/LS3/index.php/211797?lang=en" width="500px" height="350px" style="overflow:auto;border:1px solid black">
    </object>
But, to be honest, I don't think if it makes much sense to use Limesurvey for such a thing. Because you could just program this one exit survey with a normal HTML form quite quickly. There are no skip rules, there are not quota, there are no subsequent questions, so I think Limesurvey itself would be overkill.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• phplist
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #166387 by phplist

But, to be honest, I don't think if it makes much sense to use Limesurvey for such a thing. Because you could just program this one exit survey with a normal HTML form quite quickly. There are no skip rules, there are not quota, there are no subsequent questions, so I think Limesurvey itself would be overkill.

That makes sense, it would just be preferable to have all our surveys in one place. Embedding surveys in third party sites seems like it would be a popular use case. Hopefully there will be easier options available in future versions, like auto-generated AJAX scripts.

Open Source email marketing and analytics established in 2000. Available self-hosted, and with fully managed plans at phplist.com.
  • phplist
More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #166388 by phplist

...but I would use the API...

Have you used the API for embedding a survey? Are there examples available, or Open Source implementations that you can link to? Thanks!

Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by phplist.
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #166398 by jelo

holch wrote: Because you could just program this one exit survey with a normal HTML form quite quickly. There are no skip rules, there are not quota, there are no subsequent questions, so I think Limesurvey itself would be overkill.

If I look at Microsoft Forms and Google Forms and SurveyMonkey, the question is, where LimeSurvey is aiming in terms of ideal usercases in the SaaS space. Stuck in the middle? Or the golden middle? If many users of LimeSurvey would need quota, I would expect more requests here in the forum. Google Forms offer jumps to other sections.

They still would be embedded via IFRAME or OBJECT.

OBJECT was part of HTML4. So available everywhere. Object is more general, since it can be used for many things.
To understand the differences between Object and Iframe take a look at this short paragraph:
www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/objects.html#embedded-documents

Not sure if Tpartner suggested to show a survey via API.
Perhaps just adding the answer from a custommade html/javascript/php webpage popup?

Tpartner provided serveral examples of accessing the API via PHP.
www.limesurvey.org/forum/can-i-do-this-w...-fly?start=15#158184

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • tpartner
More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #166405 by tpartner

Not sure if Tpartner suggested to show a survey via API

I would create a simple web form and have it action to a remote PHP file that uses the API to insert the response. (I have linked to examples of PHP scripts in phplist's other thread)

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by tpartner.
  • holch
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #166440 by holch

jelo wrote: If I look at Microsoft Forms and Google Forms and SurveyMonkey, the question is, where LimeSurvey is aiming in terms of ideal usercases in the SaaS space. Stuck in the middle? Or the golden middle? If many users of LimeSurvey would need quota, I would expect more requests here in the forum. Google Forms offer jumps to other sections.

I am not quite sure why you bring up those tools in connection with my post.

What I wanted to say: You have one very simple question, people choose one answer and that's it. So I don't see the need for any tool here and would just create a simple form in HTML and process it with PHP or something. I think any tool is overkill. But I understand the OPs wish to have "all surveys in one place". This makes sense.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #166483 by jelo

holch wrote: would just create a simple form in HTML and process it with PHP or something. I think any tool is overkill.

I brought up these tools cause they pushed towards users which just want a simple form. To build a htmlform and backendscript, which saves the data without opening security holes is not that easy (e.g. SQL-Injection). You often end up using a framework/class which does the input filtering.

LimeSurvey might be offering a setting to be optimized towards onepageform and poll.
All in One. Welcome page disabled. No end message displayed.The bootstrap layout seems to be to spacious to be integrated into small windows.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by jelo.
  • phplist
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #166490 by phplist

All in One. Welcome page disabled. No end message displayed.The bootstrap layout seems to be to spacious to be integrated into small windows.

Exactly - that would be a very useful feature set, presumably for a wide range of uses.

• LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #166681 by LouisGac

holch wrote: .The bootstrap layout seems to be to spacious to be integrated into small windows.

In LS3:
Themes -> Vanilla/Fruity options -> "Survey container": NO

This setting has been added for embeded surveys
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by LouisGac.
  • tpartner
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #166697 by tpartner

Cheers,
Tony Partner

The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisGac

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose