Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Requiring an access code before starting survey...

• dgweller
  • dgweller's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #152072 by dgweller
Hello. I just got LS set up with a simple survey. I have a product that has a simple 3 digit + 1 alpha code on the label that lets us identify the manufacturing batch of a product being surveyed. We want to ask the respondent for this code and to make sure it's valid before conducting the survey. I thought this could be done by turning on tokens and importing a CVS file, but that seems to want a user first/last name and email address. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the documentation?

How can I set the system up to verify a product code before allowing the user to proceed?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #152078 by holch
In theory yes. The Token system was created with the idea that you have a list of respondents that you invite and usually you have a name and an email address.

However, sometimes you want to use the token system, but you don't have the contact details. So what you can do is create fake users with fake names and fake email addresses. LS usually checks if emails are unique, but I think now there is a feature that allows to avoid those checks.

So you can just create a CSV file in Excel that includes dummy details for name and email and then use the token. They will not be asked to put the name and email address, just the token code. There is a description in the manual on how to do this, if you don't know how to approach this:
manual.limesurvey.org/Survey_participant...ake_e-mail_addresses

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• dgweller
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #152082 by dgweller
This is excellent, thank you so much for the quick response. I hadn't considered a fake email address set, and didn't read further in that section to see that part. I'll do this tomorrow. Thanks again!
More
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #152204 by Deusdeorum
Just to fill in here. LS requires the fields "firstname", "lastname", "email", however, if you add a column "token" and fill this with some random string or something there is no need to create dummies for "firstname", "lastname" or "email", they could be empty! You just want to allow empty email addresses and not filter duplicates on those "firstname", "lastname" or "email". See a attached .csv.
Last edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by Deusdeorum.
  • holch
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #152207 by holch
Thank you, Deusdeorum, for skipping in here. I was not aware of that. So it is even easier than it already was.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• dgweller
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #152208 by dgweller
Oh, this is _exactly_ what I was looking for, thank you!

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose