Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Auto translate

• chickenman
  • chickenman's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 4 months ago #101508 by chickenman
Auto translate was created by chickenman
Hi All,

I am trying to work out how to use the Auto translate feature. I have done everything according to the manual.

which Google API should I be using? The Google side of things is giving me a bit of a headache.

Can anyone help?

I have 3 languages I want to translate the survey into but when I click "auto translate" nothing happens.

What AM I doing wrong.

Cheers
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 4 months ago #101516 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Auto translate
From what I know, the google translate api is not for free anymore:
developers.google.com/translate/

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• chickenman
  • chickenman's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 4 months ago #101519 by chickenman
Replied by chickenman on topic Auto translate
Hi Holch,

I know, I charged the Google API account with 20USD (enough for 1m characters) but I still can not get it to work. :angry:

I do not really want to manually translate all the questions if I don't need to (call me lazy if you want :P )

Any ideas?
  • c_schmitz
  • LimeSurvey GmbH Employee
  • LimeSurvey GmbH Employee
More
10 years 4 months ago #101520 by c_schmitz
Replied by c_schmitz on topic Auto translate
So, what did you do/try so far?

Best regards

Carsten Schmitz
LimeSurvey project leader
  • holch
  • Away
More
10 years 4 months ago #101532 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Auto translate
To be honest, if this research is important for you, you SHOULD translate the questions by hand.

Google Translate is quite good if you need to understand a text more or less. But in research little differences in wording can make a huge difference in results. I had a case where a intern deleted a little word in a question which she considered not necessary. The research was running with the old translation for about 3-4 years already and changes over time in results were minimal. But the deletion of this little word cause an increase of 10 percentage points from one year to the other.

And not surprisingly professional translators charge about US$ 15-20 per 100 words, not 1.000.000). Don't get me wrong, I love Google Translate and it helps when you need to do some quick checks, but for our research I would never, ever depend on it. Our process is usually: professional translator translates the questionnaire in word, one of our project managers revises the translation (because even the professional translators sometimes get it wrong).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose