Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Two linked surveys - checking the participant filled in the first survey

• Gems1389
  • Gems1389's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #132157 by Gems1389
Hi everyone,

I have two survey - one that collects data, which has an end URL to take participants to a second survey to fill in their details to claim reimbursement. They're separate so that we keep the data responses anonymous.

I'd like a way of checking that the participant has filled in the first survey (at least in part) when they fill in the second. Otherwise people might share the second survey link and try to claim the reimbursement without having done the "work".

So ideally, I'd just like a field in my second survey that says something like "yes" if they have come from the previous survey.

I think this is possible, using pre-filled answers, and so far I've added a question to my second survey that is set not to show. But then I got stuck because there's a lot of different advice. Please can someone help?

Thank you for your help :)
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 1 month ago #132162 by jelo

Gems1389 wrote: So ideally, I'd just like a field in my second survey that says something like "yes" if they have come from the previous survey.

You can prefill questions with answers via the URL, when redirect to the second survey.
You have to decide with information should be transferred.
And how secure in terms of tricking the system the whole thing should be.

The reimbursement won't happened without anyone reading the second survey, right? So no automatic confirming of the claims.
You just want to reduce the risk that people ignore the first survey.

Please keep in mind that local law might not allow connecting information of these two surveys. Or that the claim can be made without answering the first survey.

How to prefill answers and transfer data via URL:
manual.limesurvey.org/URL_fields

I would transfer a respondent id (generated by the first survey) and a variable which set the hidden question in the second survey to a certain number. You than have to decide if the second survey should react if the first survey wasn't filled out.

But first get used to transfer information via URL and how to prefill questions.

I think this is possible, using pre-filled answers, and so far I've added a question to my second survey that is set not to show. But then I got stuck because there's a lot of different advice. Please can someone help?

Thank you for your help :)[/quote]

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gems1389
  • Gems1389
More
8 years 1 month ago #132163 by Gems1389
Thanks Jelo!

Sorry to be an idiot but which bit should I be looking at to pass through the respondent ID? I've managed to do the hidden question variable I think.

Thanks for the warning too.
More
8 years 1 month ago #132169 by jelo
{SAVEDID}
SAVEDID is the id assigned to this particular submission,

More
8 years 1 month ago #132179 by berritorre
It is just as unsecure to pass a "Yes" with the URL as just leaving the URL. People will just share the URL including the "YES" and there you go. So your problem persists.

I would not show the URL and use the redirect feature. And I would pass the {SAVEDID} as Jelo mentioned. Then you could check if the SAVEDID code saved in the second survey corresponds with a SAVEDID in the first survey. If you have one SAVEDID various times in the second survey, then you know that there is something "fishy".

BUT: In this case you could actually just put the personal data at the end of the survey, because by passing on the SAVEDID you could join the two database tables and you would be able to connect personal data with the response data.
  • Gems1389
More
8 years 1 month ago #132196 by Gems1389

berritorre wrote: It is just as unsecure to pass a "Yes" with the URL as just leaving the URL. People will just share the URL including the "YES" and there you go. So your problem persists.

I would not show the URL and use the redirect feature. And I would pass the {SAVEDID} as Jelo mentioned. Then you could check if the SAVEDID code saved in the second survey corresponds with a SAVEDID in the first survey. If you have one SAVEDID various times in the second survey, then you know that there is something "fishy".

BUT: In this case you could actually just put the personal data at the end of the survey, because by passing on the SAVEDID you could join the two database tables and you would be able to connect personal data with the response data.

Ah, I didn't think of that, thanks. What do you mean by not show the URL? I'm using the automatically redirect feature.

Just to triple check, so I just add ".php?var1={SAVEDID}" onto the URL to do this?

Thanks!
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #132209 by holch
Yes, this would be the automatically redirect feature, so respondents don't have to click on the link to the second survey.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by holch.
  • Gems1389
More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #132430 by Gems1389
Hi all,

I've tried adding ".php?var1={SAVEDID}" onto the URL to do this, but when I download the data the IDs are different.

Please can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong or if there is another way I can do it?

Thanks,

Gemma
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Gems1389.
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132436 by jelo
Which IDs are different? You will have to compare SAVE ID from the first survey with VAR1 from second survey. The SAVEID from the second survey is not relevant any more.

• Gems1389
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132438 by Gems1389
Sorry I completely misunderstood how that was meant to work. Although I don't have a VAR1 in my second survey when I download the data, was there something I should have done to add this?

Thanks,

jelo wrote: Which IDs are different? You will have to compare SAVE ID from the first survey with VAR1 from second survey. The SAVEID from the second survey is not relevant any more.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132452 by jelo
Create a hidden question with var1 as the name.
And check the panel integration section in the survey settings.

• Gems1389
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132493 by Gems1389
Perfect, it works now, thank you :)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose