Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Admin login session times out too soon

More
7 years 5 months ago #143435 by clix
How can I increase the amount of time an administrator is logged in before Lime Survey requires them to log in again?
It's very frustrating having to sign in all the time.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 5 months ago #143439 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Admin login session times out too soon
This must be a problem with your server.

On my installations I can stay quite a bit iddle without being logged out. What do you mean with "times out too soon"?

I have never felt to be forced to log in too often.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
7 years 5 months ago #143441 by clix
Replied by clix on topic Admin login session times out too soon
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

My precise issue is I am often I working with LimeSurvey, but I'll not interact with it for half an hour or so (working in other apps and tabs). When I return to LimeSurvey and select an action, e.g. clicking a link, I am forced to log in again. It seems like the session cookie expires far too quickly. On most other accounts, such as Google, I am logged in until I log out, but it's not the case with LimeSurvey, and I'd like to change it.

Is this unusual? How can I change it?
  • holch
More
7 years 5 months ago #143445 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Admin login session times out too soon
I am no expert in this, but I think this has nothing to do with Limesurvey, but with the php session of your webserver. So you probably will have to increase the php session time, I guess.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
7 years 5 months ago #143456 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Admin login session times out too soon

clix wrote: It seems like the session cookie expires far too quickly. On most other accounts, such as Google, I am logged in until I log out, but it's not the case with LimeSurvey, and I'd like to change it.

The session is controlled by php and saved as a file or in a database (depending on your settings in limesurvey). Default the session file is saved as a textfile in the session directory. The cookie PHPSESSID is only storing the sessionfile id, not the session data itself.

To change the lifetime of these sessions, you need to change or override the php.ini setting "session.gc_maxlifetime"
Default lifetime is 1440seconds. That means that the session is at least 1440 sec. long. The sessions are allowed to be destroyed by the garbagecollector. The gc_maxlifetime is a misleading name.

The whole session configuration in php is quite big.
php.net/manual/en/session.configuration.php

But in most cases just raise gc_maxlifetime. Raising limits via the LimeSurvey config file can be done afterwards.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose