Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

URL Parameters not saving in Panel Integration

• doug01
  • doug01's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #120623 by doug01
Hi, I have Version 2.05+ Build 150413 and trying to call a survey passing a parameter (called 'id') but in going to the 'Edit Survey Settings', 'Panel Integration' and 'Add URL Parameters' and entering the id as a parameter with 'no target question' it is not saving the parameter.

I saw a previous thread that said you needed apache2 mod_security switched off but before I do (or try) something this drastic is this really the solution? I really wouldn't want this switched off to get this function to work so I wonder if anyone can confirm what I need to do? My server is an up to date ubuntu 14.

I would have thought I could have least got it to save the parameter so I'm not sure disabling mod_security would be the fix. In case you are interested I am trying to pass the id in so the end url can pass it back to sona to record student experiment participation.

Thanks
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #120628 by jelo

doug wrote: entering the id as a parameter with 'no target question' it is not saving the parameter.

What do you mean by saving?
If you set no target question the parameter isn't saved but only passed through (e.g. if you add this parameter variable to the end url).

doug wrote: I saw a previous thread that said you needed apache2 mod_security switched off but before I do (or try) something this drastic is this really the solution?

You never have to disable mod_security. You might have to disable certain rules for certain URLS.
It depends on your set of rules.

I haven't had problems with rules in connection with URL parameters.
A common problematic ModSecRule is this one:
www.limesurvey.org/en/community-services...ecurity-issue#106337
But that is *NOT* related to the issue you described here.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by jelo.
  • doug01
  • doug01's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #120655 by doug01
Passing this variable through to the end URL is exactly what I want and yes I have added this parameter variable to the end url and there is a setting called "Automatically load URL when survey complete?" set to yes

Sona instructions are www.sona-systems.com/help/limesurvey.aspx - I'll need to do some more testing to see where its going wrong.

What I mean by not saving is that from the panel integration tab I can't confirm that the parameter 'id' is actually set as a pass through variable. ie how can I tell this will be the case? I notice 'íd'is also a limesurvey fieldname so perhaps I can't use the name 'id' as a parameter name? I've seen some other threds trying to get sona integration to work so when I crack it I'll report back.
More
8 years 10 months ago #120663 by jelo
I wouldn't use id as an internal name.
There is no confirmation on the panel integration tab.

I would add some hidden questions in the beginning of the survey and assign the pass through variables to these hidden questions. That way you can check if the data is coming in correctly.

You don't need to automatically load URL to check if the passthrough is working. Deactivate the autoload till everything is working fine. When no autoload is done, you will see the URL Link, which is good for debugging.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
More
8 years 2 months ago #131058 by nicopathe
Replied by nicopathe on topic URL Parameters not saving in Panel Integration
dear doug,

were you eventually successful in integrating limesurvey to sona? if so, could you please let me know how you did because researchers at my institution are unable to make the integration work despite using the following recommendations?

www.sona-systems.com/help/limesurvey.asp...4b918e9e8849782f3018

were jelo's recommendations useful and did they solve your problem?

thanking you in advance for your time and consideration,

nicolas
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 2 months ago #131118 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic URL Parameters not saving in Panel Integration
Hi,

What is the exact url you can construct ?

if you can use example.com/1234?id=XXXX

Just add a question with title id in the survey.

id is available actually : github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/blob/ma...end_helper.php#L1527

manual.limesurvey.org/URL_fields#Prefill...using_GET_parameters

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nicopathe
More
8 years 2 months ago #131362 by justin
Hi Doug,

We (Sona Systems) just ran a test on build 150413 and things work fine. If you only goal is to use "id" as the code to pass to the End URL, then you do _not_ need to choose a target question in Panel Integration.

Now as to your question about seeing if this works with integration with our product. Here's a way to test it:
1. View the study information on your Sona site as a researcher or administrator. You'll see a Sample Link with Embedded ID Code link. Click that. It will take you to LimeSurvey.
2. Go through LimeSurvey as usual, until the end of your survey.
3. If things work correctly, at the end of LimeSurvey, you should be taken back to your Sona site and you'll see a message at the top of the page. If it is something like "No credit given, because you are not a participant, and therefore cannot sign up for this study." then it worked. That shows the system figured out who you are, and realizes you cannot receive credit. However, if you see a message like "Invalid survey_code: -6" that means the id was not passed through.

We always recommend that you test with a test participant account once you are all ready to go live with your study, but the above method is a good way to test before that point.

Regards,
Justin
The following user(s) said Thank You: nicopathe
More
8 years 1 month ago #133054 by nicopathe
Replied by nicopathe on topic URL Parameters not saving in Panel Integration
thanks to both of you.

i set up the study and everything went find up to the "No credit given, because you are not a participant, and therefore cannot sign up for this study." stage. the study will be launched tomorrow. so i'll soon know if it worked all the way.

with kind regards,

nicolas
More
8 years 1 month ago #133055 by justin
If you see that message ("because you are not a participant") that means it worked. It means the system knows who you are, and knows you (as a researcher) can't receive credit for the study.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose