Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Display selected items from Multiple Choice in a later question

• anikas
  • anikas's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 4 months ago #114514 by anikas
Hi

I have a list of items (text) in a Multiple Choice question ... and the respondent is asked to select "any that apply".

Once they select from among the list, I would like the selected items (i.e. subquestions) to be displayed in a subsequent question (maybe a Text Display question).

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!!!

A
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #114516 by tpartner
See Expression Manager Tailoring/Piping - manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager#Tailoring_.2F_Piping

So, for example, if your multiple-choice has question code "q1" and sub-questions "SQ001, SQ002...", you could use this to show the text from option 1 if checked:
Code:
{q1_SQ001.shown}

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by tpartner.
  • anikas
  • anikas's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 4 months ago #114517 by anikas
Tony!

That's fantastic, it works ... and an uber-fast response too :-)

thanks a million!

A
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #114540 by mynameislime
Hi! This was exactly what I was looking for. But could you give me a closer hint exactly how you do this? I'm quite new at Limesurvey, so I don't really know where to enter this. I have a few questiongroups with multiple choice questions, and I intend making copies of each of these, but in later views only show the selected ones, and use them in other question types. But I still can't get there from what you wrote here.

I'd be very grateful for a bit more description how you do this. Thanks beforehand.

/Adrian
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by mynameislime. Reason: misspell
  • holch
More
9 years 4 months ago #114550 by holch
Your problem is quite different to what anikas wanted to know.

You should have a look at the Expression Manager.

For example you can use relevance equations in subsequent questions and hide and show them, based on the answers given in previous question.

e.g. If you insert something like this {Q1_SQ001==1} into the relevance equation of a question, this question will only be shown if the subquestion SQ001 of question Q1 equals 1 (you need to see what applies for your survey of course).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: mynameislime
More
9 years 4 months ago #114586 by mynameislime
Thanks! I'll try that at once! Is it ok to write on this thread, or do you want me to create a new one?
Thanks
Adrian
More
9 years 4 months ago #114588 by mynameislime
I tried it, but can't seem to get the effect I'm looking for. Most probably because I'm doing it wrong. I want the question to be visible, but with only the previously selected multiple choice subquestions.

As I first understood it, the whole question would be visible or not depending on previous answers on one or several checks in one of the included multiple choice subquestions, but I want only the selected independent subquestions previously checked to be the ones visible in the next question. Is this possible, and maybe this is how you meant it and I'm simply doing it wrong.

Thanks
Adrian
More
9 years 4 months ago #114589 by mynameislime
So what I'm basically after is being able to check expressions against each multiple choice on a subquestion level instead of on a question level.
  • holch
More
9 years 4 months ago #114592 by holch
I guess what you are looking for is the array filter option.

So if you have a multiple choice question where people can choose products they use, on a array question after that you can set the array filter and only those items are shown for evaluation, that have been chosen in the previous multiple choice question.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

The following user(s) said Thank You: mynameislime
More
9 years 4 months ago #114594 by mynameislime
Yes, thank you holch, I was slowly coming to that conclusion. But I couldn't find the multiple choice option available as an array question. I'd have wanted the same setup, but with less (previously selected) same type of multiple choice questions.
  • holch
More
9 years 4 months ago #114596 by holch
Well, as far as I know, the array filter also works with two multipe choice questions.

More
9 years 4 months ago #114605 by mynameislime
Thanks again for the quick replies. I'll see if I can get it done with the options available for the array type question. Do you know at all if there might be an update that includes multiple choice in an array question? I guess it might be too much speculation to guess? :)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose