LimeSurvey 2.50+ build 160218 released!

More
1 year 9 months ago #131671 by c_schmitz
c_schmitz created the topic: LimeSurvey 2.50+ build 160218 released!
{"id":0}...

-Fixed issue #10457: White page after installation due to old database server version (Carsten Schmitz)
-Fixed issue #10519: Error when populating database on fresh install (Carsten Schmitz)
#Updated translation: French (France) by arnaud21
#Updated translation: Norwegian (Bokmal) by pmonstad
#Updated translation: Norwegian (Nynorsk) by pmonstad
#Updated translation: Russian by ddrmoscow, vipgroup

Best regards

Carsten Schmitz
LimeSurvey project leader

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #131687 by Ben_V
Ben_V replied the topic: LimeSurvey 2.50+ build 160218 released!
Hi,
for everybody currently interested in recent db changes, I attach an (html) overview of the structure of a fresh 2.50+ build 160218 install (db nº257)...

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
Attachments:

More
1 year 9 months ago #131688 by holch
holch replied the topic: LimeSurvey 2.50+ build 160218 released!
10 releases in 18 days. Wow.

And all with the same content {"id":0}

I guess I'll skip this one and install 160219.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

More
1 year 9 months ago #131716 by jboogie21
jboogie21 replied the topic: LimeSurvey 2.50+ build 160218 released!
Is there some place that describes/discusses the method behind the madness of these frequent releases? With so many people saying that 2.5 "stable" was released too early, when can we expect something truly stable. That is, I don't feel like I'm running with the bulls?

More
1 year 9 months ago #131719 by LouisGac
LouisGac replied the topic: LimeSurvey 2.50+ build 160218 released!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar

Also, you can compare with other famous OpenSource project :
docs.joomla.org/Joomla_2.5_version_history
(knowing that LimeSurvey project doesn't benefit from the same level of donation/contributors than Joomla)

By the way, thanks to 2.5 release, we had all the needed and wanted bug reports. Thanks to all the users who participate.

More
1 year 9 months ago #131720 by c_schmitz
c_schmitz replied the topic: LimeSurvey 2.50+ build 160218 released!
For some reasons the content generator does not correctly read the change on a released. We will have a look at this at some point.
You can see the release log if you go to the download page www.limesurvey.org/downloads/category/25-latest-stable-release and click the 'Details' button.

jboogie21: I am sorry if releasing often is "inconveniencing" you but we were under the impression that the user would want issues fixed quickly in the latest 2.50. You don't have to update if you don't want to. Geez.

Best regards

Carsten Schmitz

More
1 year 9 months ago #131726 by holch

LouisGac wrote: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar

Also, you can compare with other famous OpenSource project :
docs.joomla.org/Joomla_2.5_version_history
(knowing that LimeSurvey project doesn't benefit from the same level of donation/contributors than Joomla)

By the way, thanks to 2.5 release, we had all the needed and wanted bug reports. Thanks to all the users who participate.

Sounds quite positive the way you write it. But I think while you certainly got a lot of feedback, this is more due to the fact that a lot of people wanted to save what seemed to be a sinking ship.

RERO also says: Listen to your users. This was only partially respected (you might have listened to the bug reports, but you clearly didn't listen to what they want.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad that Limesurvey is moving forward. But in my opinion, on a long term, releasing 2.5+ the way it was as "stable" did more harm than good for the Limesurvey project. Additionally not informing people beforehand that their custom templates will not work with 2.5 was also not the best idea.

I would wish this approach will be reconsidered for future releases. While Limesurvey might be basically without competition in the open source world, there is still quite some competition out there form the lower and mid level SAAS survey systems.

Creating headaches for users is an easy way for driving them away. Avoiding headaches has a certain value for users and they might be willing to pay for that at some point...

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben_V

More
1 year 9 months ago #131727 by holch
And to Carsten: Of course people want this to be fixed as soon as possible. But if you release bug fixes on a daily basis for something that is called stable, something is clearly wrong. Don't you agree?

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #131739 by c_schmitz
c_schmitz replied the topic: LimeSurvey 2.50+ build 160218 released!

holch wrote: And to Carsten: Of course people want this to be fixed as soon as possible. But if you release bug fixes on a daily basis for something that is called stable, something is clearly wrong. Don't you agree?

2.5 was in RC status for 4 months - we got very little feedback and fixed all bugs that were reported.
Only now that people start to use it we get the real reports. Ask yourself honestly: How many bugs did you report for 2.5 during that time frame?
What are we supposed to do? Waiting longer would have not yielded alot more bug reports.

We release bug fixes on a daily base because we now have two full-time developers working on it.
Previously me and someone else were the only volunteers working part-time. There is just much more throughput and more effort put into.

Yes, a few new users are inconvenienced by bugs - I understand that but they get a free survey tool in exchange.
I see alot of people complaining now who have not lifted a finger before, they don't participate in the forums (except for their own benefit), they did not report bugs - neither for 2.06, nor for 2.5RC.
If reporting a bug (that is fixed a very short time later!) is such a big inconvenience for them they probably should pay for propietary survey tool.

Best regards

Carsten Schmitz
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by c_schmitz.

More
1 year 9 months ago #131740 by jboogie21
I was afraid the tone of my post was wrong, so poo poo on me.

What I should've said is that I do appreciate the hardwork that every on the team has done. In fact, I came across Limesurvey's initial release date and didn't realize it was so long ago and was thoroughly impressed. How many successful projects have come and gone since then??!! I also get that any change is difficult and people will have something to kvetch about even if you say you will give them a million dollars (or whatever your monetary unit of choice is). What I was looking for was a better understanding of where Lime is headed. I'm trying to make a case for my organization to stick with it (and not head to a proprietary solution), but with so many changes happening so quickly AND without a thread or wiki post of future plans (of which I can find at least), it's hard to make such a case. Maybe I need to have a more direct conversation with them?

Hopefully my sincerity comes across to the devs, and yet also understand if I seem like one of those people that kvetch when given money :P

More
1 year 9 months ago #131741 by jboogie21
And this thread has also helped in understanding what happened. Having an RC with little feedback is problematic...

More
1 year 9 months ago #131743 by holch
Carsten, I can understand the motives behind it. I just don't think it was the best approach. But then, decision is not mine.

I also agree with jboogie21 - one of the main reasons for many complaints is also the lack of communication / information. One is the unfortunate event that the release information wasn't showing in the forum.

Things like the change in the templates would have been a good information. I somehow had that back in in mind due to some earlier posts of Louis, but many won't.

I just think we can do better in the future.

Regarding reporting before the release: For me 2.5+ is still not released. So all my bug reports now are pre-release bug reports... ;-)

Before I simply didn't have the time to test. I won't use 2.5+ in productive use for quite a while. I never upgrade to the latest version immediately.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!