"Found & unwritable" folders when set to 755 / 777 during pre-installation check

More
4 years 9 months ago #87187 by danniholmes
danniholmes created the topic: "Found & unwritable" folders when set to 755 / 777 during pre-inst
I've come as far as loading the uncompressed folder onto the server (in binary mode), setting the writable permissions to the specified folders (following these instructions docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=Installation ), but during the pre-installation check (performed when visiting your.domain.com/limesurvey/admin ) it says that the folders "/upload directory" and "/tmp directory" are "Found & unwritable".

The third folder ("/application/config directory") that needs writable settings says that it is "Found & writable", even though I have given it the exact same permissions as the supposedly "unwritable" folders.

I have played around with both 755 and 777 permissions, but no changes.

The only difference between them that I can see is that the folder that is recognised as writable ("/application/config directory") has no subfolders. The other two that are not recognised as writable ("/upload directory" and "/tmp directory") do have subfolders. However, I have given these subfolders writable permissions also.

If it helps, I am using Core FTP to manage the site's files.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #89861 by jsavage
jsavage replied the topic: "Found & unwritable" folders when set to 755 / 777 during pre-inst
Hi Danni,
It looks like I am experiencing the same issue you encountered. Did you manage to resolve this issue?

James

More
4 years 7 months ago #90186 by TheComputerEngineer
TheComputerEngineer replied the topic: "Found & unwritable" folders when set to 755 / 777 during pre-inst
When you change the permissions on the upload and tmp directories you need to recurse the change for all files and sub folders - then the installer will alllow you to continue.

More
4 years 7 months ago #90429 by ulysse68
ulysse68 replied the topic: "Found & unwritable" folders when set to 755 / 777 during pre-inst
Hi!

Had the same experience here (I installed previously numbers of LimeSurvey2 instances without problems, but always when I had full control on the servers... I am now on a shared server without access to php.ini).

I solved the first messages by making folders *and* included files writable.

Now, another message remain: "session.save_path /tmp Found and Unwritable". The "tmp" folder *is* writable. I tried to change the path of "/tmp" with .htaccess (giving the full path), without success.

Any idea for this part? Thanks!
U.

More
4 years 7 months ago #90430 by ulysse68
ulysse68 replied the topic: "Found & unwritable" folders when set to 755 / 777 during pre-inst
OK, I finally created another /tmp directory outside limesurvey folder, made it writable too, and added the following line in .htaccess:

php_value session.save_path /my/complete/path/to/tmp

and it now works. HTH,
U.

Did you already participate in our customer survey?

Don't miss your chance for great prices.

Please click here to participate:

Start now

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now