Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Internal Server Error - Call to a member function read() on bool

• stevehb
  • stevehb's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #191121 by stevehb
Hi

I have my own LimeSurvey on a hosting platform. It is currently on Version 2.50+ Build 160812 and I can't upgrade because one of the active surveys has had some additional code built in and around it.

I built a new (simple) survey today and it was working OK. The questions are in 2 groups.

I realised I needed to add a question to group 1, so I...
  • Exported the 5 records
  • Deactivated the Survey
  • Added the question
  • Reactivated the Survey
  • Imported the 5 records

Now when I run the survey it works as far as the last question (the newly added one) but when I hit next to go to the first question of Group 2 it breaks giving the error you can see in the attached image.

The error is:

Internal Server Error

Call to a member function read() on bool
An internal error occurred while the Web server was processing your request. Please contact the webmaster to report this problem. Thank you.

Has anybody got any idea what has happened and what I can do to fix it? I have an opportunity at the weekend to get 300-500 responses which I need for a project I am working on.

Thanks in advance.
Steve H-B
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 5 months ago #191123 by holch
My first guess would be that the problem is due to the import of the responses.

Let's see what happens when you copy the survey and start it as a new, clean survey, just for test purposes.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• stevehb
  • stevehb's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #191125 by stevehb

holch wrote: My first guess would be that the problem is due to the import of the responses.

Let's see what happens when you copy the survey and start it as a new, clean survey, just for test purposes.

OK... This has allowed me to add a new record to the survey. So it was indeed the import of the previous answers that caused the problem!!!

I'd be interested in if anybody can say what caused the problem with the import of the vv file? It isn't a big problem for me as there were only 5 responses in the original survey and the survey only has 15 very simple questions, so I can add these back in manually.

Thanks for your help Holch.
  • holch
More
4 years 5 months ago #191151 by holch
Ohh, so you added them via VV file? Of course this will cause problems.

You had 14 questions before, exported a file with these 14 questions, then you added a 15th question, but imported a file based on 14 questions. Not really surprised this went wrong. I never use VV files, thus I can't really tell how they exactly work. But as I said, not surprised that this went wrong.

Actually, when you deactivate a survey, then change it and reactivate, LSS usually offers you the possibility to import the previous responses from the archive. This should work better, because it will consider the changes in the Database that have been made.

What I usually would do in a case like yours is export the responses to CSV or Excel and save them. If in any case the import of the previous answers doesn't work, it is relatively easy to join the two exported response tables in Excel. You just need to insert empty columns where necessary to align the columns. If you don't have many changes, it is fairly quick.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
4 years 5 months ago #191196 by DenisChenu

holch wrote: You had 14 questions before, exported a file with these 14 questions, then you added a 15th question, but imported a file based on 14 questions. Not really surprised this went wrong. I never use VV files, thus I can't really tell how they exactly work. But as I said, not surprised that this went wrong.

No,

Current system have a lot of protection and must not break.

We check for each columns if data is valid or not etc …

stevehb wrote: I'd be interested in if anybody can say what caused the problem with the import of the vv file? It isn't a big problem for me as there were only 5 responses in the original survey and the survey only has 15 very simple questions, so I can add these back in manually.

IOf you use a 3.X where X is upper than 10 : i'm happy to have a bug report : www.limesurvey.org/community/bug-tracker

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose