Recent .htaccess Update Blocking Let's Encrypt SSL Renewal

More
2 months 1 week ago #173585 by nh905
nh905 created the topic: Recent .htaccess Update Blocking Let's Encrypt SSL Renewal
Let's Encrypt requires web access to the hidden directory .well-known/acme-challenge to renew SSL certifications. Limesurvey recently added .htaccess rules blocking access to hidden directories, blocking Let's Encrypt access. I temporarily removed the rule.

Drupal had a similar issue and modified the RewriteRule to read:
RewriteRule "(^|/)\.(?!well-known)"
I am a rewrite newbie, so I have not tried to update the Limesurvey .htaccess rule.

Regards, Norbert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #173603 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: Recent .htaccess Update Blocking Let's Encrypt SSL Renewal
Yes, this need to be fixed …

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .

More
2 months 1 week ago #173605 by jelo
jelo replied the topic: Recent .htaccess Update Blocking Let's Encrypt SSL Renewal

DenisChenu wrote: Yes, this need to be fixed …

You already spoted the issue and posted a remark here:
github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/commit/...2b8ebf88c296104c5d2c

More and more provider and controlpanels are already applying the exceptions for .well-known on the webserver level. Beside Let's Encrypt there are other ones (e.g. Comodo SSL). Still make sense for LimeSurvey to allow access to subdirectories of .well-known

Perhaps adding this:
RewriteRule "/\.|^\.(?!well-known/)" - [F]

More about .well-known can be found here: tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5785

Are you a student conducting a survey? If yes, tell me why you use LimeSurvey?
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/116...y-you-use-limesurvey

More
2 months 1 week ago #173607 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: Recent .htaccess Update Blocking Let's Encrypt SSL Renewal

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .

More
2 months 1 week ago #173610 by nh905
nh905 replied the topic: Recent .htaccess Update Blocking Let's Encrypt SSL Renewal
Denis, two updates applied and successfully tested. Let's Encrypt is working, but access to folders like .gitignore remain blocked.

Thanks, Norbert

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!