Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Bounce emails from Yahoo accounts

• DanielVN
  • DanielVN's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago #169568 by DanielVN
Bounce emails from Yahoo accounts was created by DanielVN
Hi,

I'm part of Online marketing company and we have online panel in Greece.

Recently we have issues with sending emails to yahoo.gr and hotmail email addresses and the emails are being bounced back.

Please find below an example of the bounce back error:

host mx-eu.mail.am0.yahoodns.net [188.125.69.79]
SMTP error from remote mail server after pipelined MAIL FROM:<ninov@vnmarketresearch.eu> SIZE=8689:
421 4.7.0 [TSS04] Messages from 185.123.188.61 temporarily deferred due to user complaints - 4.16.55.1; see
help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN3434.html :
retry timeout exceeded

We are using SMTP as email method
TLS as SMTP descryption and the SMTP debug mode OFF.

We are using dedicated email server.

Could you please advise if you see any issues with the setup? We are actually facing issues with Yahoo accounts on regular base and we have checked with them multiple times with no long term solution.

Any advise will be highly appresciated.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 10 months ago #169585 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Bounce emails from Yahoo accounts
I think this has little to do with Limesurvey, but rather with your email approach and/or Yahoo and their users.

From what I understand, there have been complaints by users for your IP. I assume that someone marked your emails as spam. You should check with the respective users.

Make sure that your IP is not within a 'bad neighborhood' as well. In our company, if we receive spam or unwanted emails and report them, your email server admin will block the IP or even the whole IP range, if it is suspicious.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• holch
More
5 years 10 months ago #169586 by holch
www.scamadviser.com/check-website/vnmarketresearch.eu

There are a few points that might also cause a higher chance of being marked as suspicious. Sending mass emails is always fairly tricky and requires a lot of caution for not being marked as spammers.

help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN3434.html

I think the explanation in this link is fairly clear. There are a few things that can easily lead to being blocked:
- You are sending a lot of emails (there are always emails that are old or incorrect, if an email provider like Yahoo receives a lot of emails where no account exists, or if a few users mark your email as spam, you can be easily blocked). Make sure that your contact data is very accurate and up to date.
- Your server is located in Bulgaria, which does not have the best reputation when it comes to spam/scam emails.
- Depending on your text you might also trigger some other things, depending on language/words used
- You are hiding your identity (makes it even more suspicious)
- Your email server might not be configured perfectly (SPF, etc.)

Not getting labeled as spam is a science in itself, when sending mass emails.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

More
5 years 10 months ago #169592 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Bounce emails from Yahoo accounts

holch wrote: Sending mass emails is always fairly tricky and requires a lot of caution for not being marked as spammers. help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN3434.html

Oath (Yahoo, AOL and a few others) is know for it's "chaotic" blocking routines. You can get blocked, when you send not enough emails over time ;-)

Most common issue is people marking the email as SPAM instead of unsubscribing.
Feedbackloops can be created to get an email when people clicking SPAM on your mails. That way you can remove them from your lists to minimize SPAM labels.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
More
5 years 10 months ago #169593 by holch

jelo wrote: You can get blocked, when you send not enough emails over time ;-)

Wow, that makes no sense what so ever! So I guess your suggestion is: Send more emails to Yahoo? ;-)

More
5 years 10 months ago #169594 by jelo
It make sense, when you think about the primitive routines used to block mailservers. A mailserver which is suddenldy sending a higher volume is labeled as a hacked server which is sending SPAM.
When sending newsletters you can send volume over time. When just sending surveyinvitations (e.g. after a yearly exhibition only) you can't get the same volume over a longer period of time.
The industry is a getting a bit silly. On the one hand they want you to use your own mailserver with a dedicated IP address to recognize sender streams more easily. On the other hand they want you to send a constant flow of emails without much change in volume.

And the threadstarter is not haven a constant flow of emails.
Removing blocks will be part of the game with Oath.

If you're doing survey maling for companies people don't recognize the sender as legit. So getting blocked more easily on webmail providers is not unusual.

• holch
More
5 years 10 months ago #169595 by holch
But then, I hardly know anyone seriously using Yahoo or Aol emails. They most likely will be obsolete soon anyway. But this can differ greatly by country I guess.

• tpartner
More
5 years 6 months ago #175057 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Bounce emails from Yahoo accounts
Does the OP even use LimeSurvey (they have not mentioned it anywhere) or is this just a generic broadcast for help?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • holch
More
5 years 6 months ago #175068 by holch
this thread is 3 months old and just spilled up to the top because someone posted spam.

More
5 years 6 months ago #175070 by jelo

tpartner wrote: Does the OP even use LimeSurvey (they have not mentioned it anywhere) or is this just a generic broadcast for help?

OP=original poster?
This thread seems to be reactivated by a SPAM post. The thread starter did mention "SMTP debug mode OFF", which is a indication for LimeSurvey.

• tpartner
More
5 years 6 months ago #175093 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Bounce emails from Yahoo accounts
Yes, OP is original poster. Sorry, I didn't focus on the timeline.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose