Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

LimeSurvey 2.5 PHP Installation Issues

• CitrusSurvey
  • CitrusSurvey's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago #134613 by CitrusSurvey
LimeSurvey 2.5 PHP Installation Issues was created by CitrusSurvey
Have confirmed my PHP 5.3.3 has the mysql, mysqli, and mbstring modules.
Uploaded and unzipped Limesurvey 2.5, manually created a MySQL database, then got blank screen after running install script at <domain>/limesurvey/admin

LimeSurvey manual says this means my PHP installation needs work and to:
1) Verify I have MySQL PHP module (php-mysql) installed.
See NOTE #1 below.
2) Verify my PHP install is loading the PHP.ini file I'm modifying and not parsing some other PHP.ini file located elsewhere.
Have confirmed my PHP.ini is located at /etc/php.ini
3) Verify the locations and permissions of the following settings in my PHP.ini file
upload_tmp_dir="/temp"
session.save_path="/temp"
See NOTE #2 below.
4) Verify I'm running a suitable version of PHP for LimeSurvey 2.5
Am running 5.3.3 which release notes say is sufficient.

NOTE #1 above, it's not clear to me if this module is located in MySQL or in PHP. PHP -m shows I've got the mysql, mysqli, and mbstring. But I've found no comparable command to inspect MySQL to see if php-mysql is installed.
Could use some guidance as to where this module should reside, how to confirm it's presence, and how to locate and install if it's missing.

NOTE #2
Per manual I've set permissions to 766 (755 failed) for limesurvey/tmp , limesurvey/upload/ and limesurvey/application/config/ via following command:

chmod -R 766 <directory>;chown -R apache <directory>

I also set the following PHP.ini variables after creating a new /temp directory with same permissions above.
upload_tmp_dir="/temp"
session.save_path="/temp"

But I still continue to get a blank screen.

Any suggestions would be welcome as I've been hitting the wall for two days wrestling with what I'm told are PHP issues.
The topic has been locked.
  • elissa
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 11 months ago #134625 by elissa
Replied by elissa on topic LimeSurvey 2.5 PHP Installation Issues
I'm not an expert in PHP but I'll share my experience with installing LS2.5 a few weeks ago. I had PHP 5.3.29-1 installed and the LS installation screen confirmed that my server met minimum requirements for the installation. Then after the installation I got blank screen. Someone advised me to upgrade PHP so I had it upgraded to PHP 5.5.29 and the LS started to work. So maybe try to upgrade your PHP.

Regards

Elzbieta Lesinska
LS voluntary Polish translator and supervisor
  • CitrusSurvey
  • CitrusSurvey's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago #134664 by CitrusSurvey
Replied by CitrusSurvey on topic LimeSurvey 2.5 PHP Installation Issues
Thanks for the suggestion Elisa,
I just went into my hosting and updated PHP to 5.5 as I was running 5.3 and a Google search indicated even PHP 5.4 was rather old and insecure.
Unfortunately, when I re-run the LimeSurvey install script I still get a blank screen.
I'll try bouncing my server, and then try updating to PHP 5.6 to see if an even newer version of PHP will helps.
I'd really like to be able to install LimeSurvey manually, but if PHP issues are going to be this daunting, I'll look into running a Bitnami package of LimeSurvey.
  • holch
More
7 years 11 months ago #134683 by holch
Replied by holch on topic LimeSurvey 2.5 PHP Installation Issues
My first suggestion would have been the same as Elisas, but as the update to 5.5 didn't help, maybe the problem is the maximum execution time or the memory the script is allowed to get.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose