Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

dot files are prohibited in the server

• yuvalhadas
  • yuvalhadas's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #132347 by yuvalhadas
dot files are prohibited in the server was created by yuvalhadas
I'm trying to install limesurvey on my yahoo webserver. Unfortunately, file names cannot begin with a period (such as .htaccess). As a result, all such files were not uploaded via ftp. Is there a workaround?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 1 month ago #132365 by holch
Replied by holch on topic dot files are prohibited in the server
Any webserver should allow files that start with a dot. They are vital parts of many web applications (especially the .htaccess files) and if they really don't allow those files you will have to change your host, because many web applications will not work properly with this restriction.

I don't know the offer of "yahoo webserver", but I guess it is probably a very basic webspace and if they don't allow .htaccess files they most probably also don't provide PHP and MySQL support, which is also required to run Limesurvey.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• holch
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #132366 by holch
Replied by holch on topic dot files are prohibited in the server
Any webserver should allow files that start with a dot. They are vital part of many web applications (especially the .htaccess files) and if they really don't allow those files you will have to change your host, because many dynamic web applications based on PHP will not work properly with this restriction.

I don't know the offer of "yahoo webserver", but I guess it is probably a very basic webspace and if they don't allow .htaccess files they most probably also don't provide PHP and MySQL support, which is also required to run Limesurvey.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by holch.
  • tpartner
More
8 years 1 month ago #132386 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic dot files are prohibited in the server
Try uploading it as htaccess.txt and then renaming it.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose