Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Deactivated surveys after update

• miuulm
  • miuulm's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #124420 by miuulm
Deactivated surveys after update was created by miuulm
Hi!
On the 24th of August I installed an lime-survey update (limesurvey206plus-build150824) by hand (as the ComfortUpdate did not work). My colleagues complained, that the status of some of their surveys was set from "active" to "inactive". Unfortunately, by deactivating the surveys, all the data from the questionnaires is lost, so we had to fiddle around with the backup files.
Before the update, 12 of 15 surveys were set to 'active', 7 of these 12 active surveys were deactivated by the update.

Because of the broken database integrity page, today I again installed the latest update (Version 2.06+ Build 150831). This time ComfortUpdate worked smoothly.

But again one of the surveys was deactivated (one whose data was fetched from the backup and set to 'active' a few days ago).

On the 'data integrity' page, there are some datasets listed, that "should be removed, because the surveys do not exist any more" and also the redundancy test also lists some survey ids, that "can be deleted". I recognize some of the ids from the surveys, that had been deactivated, so I think this is exactly the data, what we are missing.

So I would appreciate if you could answer me the following questions:
  • Is there a way to ensure that the next update will not alter the status of any of our surveys?
  • Is there an "easy" way (using the web interface) to restore the data of deactivated surveys, which is still in the database?
Best regards,
Bjoern
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 7 months ago #124424 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Deactivated surveys after update
Are you sure that the deactivation was caused by the update? This really is strange.
When I look in the bugtracker, I wouldn't call 2.06+ a stable version. IMHO a bit too pushy to bring 2.06 to the table.
Different update tiers would allow us to install different versions which already more tested than others. 2.05+ version is now missing security updates which are only fixed in the 2.06+ version. Which brings you to the tradeoff "Unsecure and working" vs. "Secure and buggy". E.g. www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2014-5016/

When reactivating a survey I often got a screen to reimport the data from the deactivated survey.
But I wouldn't bet on it, when the update process created the mess.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • c_schmitz
  • LimeSurvey GmbH Employee
  • LimeSurvey GmbH Employee
More
8 years 7 months ago #124426 by c_schmitz
Replied by c_schmitz on topic Deactivated surveys after update
Hello miuulm,

there was an error in version 150824 which caused surveys to be disableed (because the response table was renamed) when running the integrity check (oh, the irony).
This was fixed immediately that same day by publishing a new build 150825.
I can only assume that you (or someone else) ran the integrity check right after update causing the problem. Anyway, the issue has been fixed and it should not happen anymore.

Best regards

Carsten Schmitz
LimeSurvey project leader
  • miuulm
  • miuulm's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #124428 by miuulm
Replied by miuulm on topic Deactivated surveys after update
Thanks for the quick responses.

I usually have a look at the data integrity right after the update. But I remember to have checked the data integrity before the update, so this might have caused the second deactivation of already reactivated surveys.

But I expected the integrity check not to modify any data, even in case of failure...
Seems quite a nogo to me that this can cause data loss.

I will have an eye on the status of the surveys on the next update. Hopefully I won't have to restore any more questionnaire data.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose