Sponsor new features

More
3 years 1 day ago #115664 by jelo
jelo created the topic: Sponsor new features
Since we have feature requests in the mantis tracker and in this board it might be the next step to offer an FAQ about how to sponsor new features.

There are many opensource projects which offer such a section, to outline the process.

Some examples:
rtcamp.com/rtmedia/sponsorship/
eventespresso.com/rich-features/sponsor-new-features/
mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/community/spon...the-mariadb-project/

There are differences between commercial and noncommercial sponsoring in terms of tax status and other things.

Limesurvey as a project is not a foundation. The brand and the infrastructre are maintained by a business partnership. There a different ways to collect and distribute the money for feature requests.

So is a feature sponsoring wanted or not. There are projects which are not interested in being pushed or draged via bounty programs in certain areas.

Perhaps the developers could be so kind, to share some thoughts till Feb. 2015. What would be a good way to organize sponsored feature requests. That could reduce the amount of money, which is made with customizing Limesurvey for certains companies.

If I got something wrong please correct me ASAP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #115743 by Mazi
Mazi replied the topic: Sponsor new features
I'll try to mention this topic at the next developer meeting.

Please drop us a note here in January if we haven't responded till then (because of Christmas time and holidays).

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

More
2 years 10 months ago #117242 by jelo
jelo replied the topic: Sponsor new features
You asked for a reminder.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #117336 by Mazi

jelo wrote: You asked for a reminder.

Thanks, jelo!

Our project manager is currently ill and also very busy but I will send him another email.

Please send another reminder if you don't hear from me this month.

Dr. Marcel Minke
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Mazi.

More
2 years 6 months ago #121311 by jelo
Reminder.

More
2 years 6 months ago #121339 by c_schmitz
c_schmitz replied the topic: Sponsor new features
Hello Jelo,

I am all in favour to establish a crowdfounding mechanism for LimeSurvey - we just need to find the best technical way to do it.
We had a look at BountySource ( www.bountysource.com ) but they do not support our bug tracker software (Mantis) at the moment.
So we are looking for further alternatives, preferably something than can be integrated with Mantis and/or Joomla.
We have our first full-time coder working and we are still looking for a second one to employ - things will certainly speed up in the future.

Best regards

Carsten Schmitz
LimeSurvey project leader
The following user(s) said Thank You: first

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #121399 by Mazi

c_schmitz wrote: Hello Jelo,

I am all in favour to establish a crowdfounding mechanism for LimeSurvey - we just need to find the best technical way to do it.
We had a look at BountySource ( www.bountysource.com ) but they do not support our bug tracker software (Mantis) at the moment.
So we are looking for further alternatives, preferably something than can be integrated with Mantis and/or Joomla.
We have our first full-time coder working and we are still looking for a second one to employ - things will certainly speed up in the future.

Carsten, you as the project lead, can you please set up a sponsoring FAQ page at the Limesurvey wiki describing the process in a few sentences and how interested users can best get in touch with the development team?
I volunteer to translating the page to German and extending it later.

Dr. Marcel Minke
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Mazi.

More
2 years 6 months ago #121529 by jelo
Where are the most eyeballs? On the manual, the Bugtracker or the forum.
I would bet on the forum.

I don't know how capable the forum software is, but there are few things which might help to structure and raise awareness.
The right number of forums and subforums are tricky. If you have to many sections you can irritate users. Beside subforums there are the sticky posts. Overtime they get long and nobody knows the context over time,
A nice feature of some board applications is to get subforums listed as links in the overview page beside the description of the main sections (similar to ideas.limesurvey.org under "Future features").
I would recommend to add a subsection "Sponsored features". Let develop a FAQ overtime. Start small. Set a minimum and maximum limit during a trial period to prevent hassle and failure. A psychological problem is the price label. If you put a pricelabel on something it can devalue the work of people. Another problem is how many people can pool money to sponsor a feature and how to ensure the money is paid. Perhaps no pooling or only with a upfrontpayment in the start. If the developer of the feature is part of the limesurvey team, the money transfer can be done via Limesurvey accounts. Deduct e.g. 10% of the sum as a sponsor/handling fee. Tax issues/invoices may be the biggest problem.
Perhaps add a section to your limesurvey sponsor form for sponsored features (e.g. URL Link to mantis and URL to Forum).

More
2 years 3 months ago #124090 by c_schmitz
c_schmitz replied the topic: Sponsor new features
BountySource can finally scrape our bug-/feature tracker..
See www.bountysource.com/teams/limesurvey/issues?tracker_ids=342810

Best regards

Carsten Schmitz
LimeSurvey project leader

More
2 years 3 months ago #124100 by jelo
Can you limit it to a new branch in mantis. There are too many old requests. What is the cut Bountysource takes?

Currently we have in the forum:

Looping: 500 USD:
www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/future-features/94459-looping

Maintenance / Pause Screen: 250 USD
www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/future-featu...tallation-per-survey

Let's see when it sticks.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!