Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: limesurvey versions for portable devices...android?

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 days 9 hours ago #131211

• hvgard
  • Fresh Lemon
  • Thank you received: 1
What feature are you referring to?

PS: There are indeed lots of apps that do surveys offline, but none of them seem LS based in the sense that they read their survey config from LS and deliver there data to a live LS survey.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 days 9 hours ago #131212

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 623
Features: the full LS package. From what I understood, you only have certain question types in the app, right?

Oh, so your app is Limesurvey based? I didn't read this into your comment. I thought it is just "another" survey app.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 days 9 hours ago #131215

• hvgard
  • Fresh Lemon
Yes, the Apps take their survey configs from lime and deliver to lime. Works pretty well

Let me see we have: prompt, file upload, date, single line text, huge text, yes/no, radio, gender, dropdown/spinnner, checkbox, dipolar (a slider with two texts left and right of the slider), tripolar (a triangle with 3 texts and droppable and does not apply button), multinum-slider, location (GPS), some profile data (name, birthdate, city) and language switch. We also have input checking using regular expressions and the min/max answers etc work.

it's basic, not complete, but its a start. We have plans (but no money yet) to introduce some skinning (logo, colours, etc) and would love to add the rating and array questions.

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 days 9 hours ago #131218

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Sounds very interesting and the list sounds a lot more complete now than in your first post... ;-)

I assume that it doesn't support Expression Manager, right?
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 days 9 hours ago #131220

• hvgard
  • Fresh Lemon
:-) no, not yet. We have however arranged with the developer that if we or anyone want to invest in expanding the Apps they are willing to release more versions. That is one of the reasons I mentioned skins. That way we could have our company version, customer versions and f.e. the generic lime version.

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 days 8 hours ago #131222

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Gave it a try. The first impression looks good. At the moment it is configured rather for collecting small bits of recurring information ("Stories"), a little bit like dscout. This is a nice use case, but for me it would be more interesting to have it as a data collection for CAPI surveys. It would be great to have limesurvey for this as well, as you wouldn't need to switch tools.

If I understand it right, this can only access questionnaires from a very specific server. So I couldn't configure my own server and download the surveys from there, right?

Actually a full Limesurvey install can run on a tablet if you install an app that provides a webserver with PHP and MySQL. I tested that a while ago and it worked relatively well. I am not sure if it would still work with the Yii framework and the latest changes. Would have to give it a try. The problem is that we would have to install everything (including the questionnaire) on the tablets, because most interviewers wouldn't be able to go through the installation of an webserver (which is probably the smallest problem via the app stores), but then download the survey file and import it onto their local installation of limesurvey on the tablet and then start the survey...

We would need an easy bundle of Limesurvey + Webserver (like we have with XAMPP) and an easy upload process with easy access to the surveys, without the normal Limesurvey process. Some kind of script that makes that easier. this would allow to have the full Limesurvey feature set on a tablet or smartphone.

I guess I'll clean up my mobile phone a bit and give it a new try with the newest versions.

Or: Get a Windows 10 tablet and install the limesurvey xampp package..

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 days 8 hours ago #131223

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
While searching around in the appstore for the webserver app that I had used, I also tried a search for Limesurvey. And there is an app that seems to work with Limesurvey: www.surveyjazz.com/en/plans-and-pricing

However, it is SAS (I would like to run it on my own server) and the pricing is quite insane. The free account is reasonable, but for many surveys 16 questions is not enough.

The next package would cost 19 Euro per interviewer per month (min. 3 months), which is also too much for occacional usage.

Or basically 5000 Euros for one year ... enough said.

Not sure what "2 Mobile device connections" means.

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 days 7 hours ago #131225

• hvgard
  • Fresh Lemon
Well, no problem to provide a test account on my "mobile" server for you to try. Drop an email to harold(at)storyconnect.nl and we will arrange it.
Even if you want to run a real project: welcome.
Last Edit: 3 days 7 hours ago by hvgard.

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 2 days 21 hours ago #131247

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 348
Rumor has it that an Android app supporting offline surveys and connecting directly to any Limesurvey system for syncing data will be released this month by an authorized Limesurvey partner.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 2 days 5 hours ago #131301

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Sounds good. Would be even better if it would turn out to be true and be reasonably priced.

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 1 day 22 hours ago #131316

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
holch wrote:
Sounds good. Would be even better if it would turn out to be true and be reasonably priced.
We are open to suggestions. Currently we are thinking about a monthly fee per device. For users who want to use more than 3 / 5 / x devices we will offer custom packages and prices.

So based on your experience, what do you think is a reasonable price and which pricing method (fixed price, per device, per month, both) do you prefer?

Dr. Marcel Minke

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 1 day 21 hours ago #131318

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 1126
Hi ,

Are you open to crownfounding ? www.bountysource.com/issues/25186808-ipad-limesurvey-app

Set your dev price to be public in GPL or compatible version.

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 1 day 21 hours ago #131320

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
Thanks for the link but I think now that we are nearly done with everything, that's not really an option. Will talk to my partner but most probably we will charge a fee which also makes sure we can continue development and add new features.

Dr. Marcel Minke

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 1 day 18 hours ago #131334

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Mazi wrote:
holch wrote:
We are open to suggestions. Currently we are thinking about a monthly fee per device. For users who want to use more than 3 / 5 / x devices we will offer custom packages and prices.

So based on your experience, what do you think is a reasonable price and which pricing method (fixed price, per device, per month, both) do you prefer?

I know that monthly fees are a preference of the seller. I personally and many others do hate monthly fees where not necessary. For example software. If I can purchase it now and then use it for a good while (like MS Office), I prefer to buy it. Even if the new office version comes out, if I don't see a need to upgrade I can wait a little longer, if money isn't there at the moment. With Office 365, if you don't pay a month it stops working. My Office 2010 here goes on and can be moved to a computer for an intern, etc.

CAPI for many is a thing that comes up now and then, but it is nothing that we use on a daily or weekly basis. And if it comes in, we usually would need quite a big amount of interviewers with it during 2-4 weeks, then we might not need it for 2 months or more. Interviewers can change from project to project and usually devices are rented, which means I won't install an app with a monthly fee, it just doesn't make sense.

Monthly fees might work if you have constantly ongoing data collection, with a fixed amount of data collectors that work for you over a long period of time. But this is not the vast reality in the area of market research. Many small and medium sized market research companies have sporadic projects with CAPI, so monthly wouldn't cut it.

For me personally, the ideal option would be a one off fee per server which is collecting. Because this way things are a lot simpler. The interviewer who are mostly independent wouldn't have to pay anything (which could be a big hurdle), we could rent devices for each project and install the app without a hassle and it doesn't matter if I have a project with 1,2, 10 or 100 interviewers. For example, a project with n=1000 necessary responses could be run by a handful of interviewers over a longer period of time if the client doesn't have time pressure. This is great for the quality of the research, the interviewers are more experienced, they know what the project is about. For them it is good because they have an income stream secured for a longer time. Now if the client is in a hurry, many locations are involved, etc. you might have to have a big amount of interviewers to collect data.

There are many subscription based models out there. I hate the idea. I love Limesurvey, because I don't have to worry about monthly fees. Even if I don't have any project that uses Limesurvey during a year, I am not wasting money...

Last Edit: 1 day 18 hours ago by holch.
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds