Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Internet Explorer support for Limesurvey 3.X

• Carmen60
  • Carmen60's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #180378 by Carmen60
Hi,
We have used Limesurvey as a survey platform for a widespread community in Europe. Some of our users still use Internet Explorer as their preferred browser. If we want to interoperate and be inclusive towards survey designers who use IE, have we any chance that browser compliance will change in the future?
Anyway, is there any information about what doesn't work if you use IE for designing a survey through Limesurvey 3.x interface?
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Carmen60.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Limuss
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #180380 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Internet Explorer support for Limesurvey 3.X

Microsoft security chief warns people ‘not to use its own Internet Explorer’ as the program is ‘outdated’

Source : www.thesun.co.uk/tech/8387677/internet-e...wser-security-alert/

My opinion :
1. yes for public part (always , even ELinks or Lynx or Emacs/W3 must be supported)
2. never for admin part (I prefer to work on supporting ELinks or any text web browser …)

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by DenisChenu. Reason: Add some text browser links
More
5 years 1 month ago #180382 by jelo

Carmen60 wrote: If we want to interoperate and be inclusive towards survey designers who use IE, have we any chance that browser compliance will change in the future?

Very low. If someone provides fixes, it might will be considered. But I don't see anybody investing. Even Microsoft will start killing IE once Edge is running on Chrome engine. I wouldn't invest as a Limesurvey developer in IE. Users, which are on IE, might consider sponsoring testing and fixing.

Carmen60 wrote: Anyway, is there any information about what doesn't work if you use IE for designing a survey through Limesurvey 3.x interface?

I'm not aware of a page which documents the unsupported parts. It's more that nobody is testing LS against IE anymore. I haven't seen many complains about LS 3 and IE from the survey designer side. But most won't use IE if they are not forced to.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
More
5 years 3 days ago #182269 by holch
I totally go with Jelo and Denis here: On the survey taker side I think we need to support IE and I guess we do.

But on the survey designer side, I would not spend time (and thus money) on a browser that is so little used. In your case it might still have a high incidence, but word wide (see gs.statcounter) the incidence is below 3% and the tendency is going down. So I would also not invest the little resources that the LS project has on supporting a dying browser. I would not spend 1 minute of testing resources on the IE. I think sooner or later your community will have to adapt anyway, so why not sooner?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #183789 by cdorin
Hello there,

You should be able to use IE to fill out LimeSurvey-based questionnaires.

However, I highly doubt that you will be able to use LimeSurvey to design surveys in the near future. The usage of IE has dramatically decreased and Edge will soon rely on the Chromium source code (as underlined above by other community members). There are not that many reasons to support a dying web browser.

P.s. Replied here because we still get questions about whether we will support in the near future the survey-design functionality in the latest IE version.

Manual: manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_Manual
Bugs tracker: bugs.limesurvey.org/my_view_page.php
If you self-host and need help, contact one of our partners: limesurvey.com
Please do not contact me via PM - thank you.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by cdorin.
More
4 years 10 months ago #184840 by Limuss
First of all, thanks for explain yours point of views about Internet Explorer navigator. Like it or not, IE (Microsoft Edge) stills be in many desktop computers and will be used for many people.

I speak for default configurations, many office users doesn't spend time in change Windows configurations, for example for to change default web browser.

Well any effort for to improve issues relationed limesurvey working through in IE navigator, will be well received.
  • holch
More
4 years 10 months ago #184843 by holch
This is why for the respondent facing part (survey taking) IE is still supported, because you can't control which browser your participants will use.

But for the survey administrators I think it is not too much to ask to install and use a modern browser, if you want to use Limesurvey. Due to the incidence below 5% and the problems arising with IE, I don't think we should spend any (of the limited) resources on making the LS backend compatible with IE. It doesn't mean it won't work, but it will not be guaranteed.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #184847 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Internet Explorer support for Limesurvey 3.X
Personnaly i support ONLY free (like a speech) web browser :P

(it's false … , but i hope too …)

PS : a point IE is not Edge (or Edge is not IE) .

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by DenisChenu. Reason: PS

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose