Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

What feature is unique to Limesurvey? What feature is missing the most?

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #144475 by vkuzmin
What feature is unique to Limesurvey?
-Limesurvey is free.
-You can use it without internet connection.
-You can do a LOT with javascript.
-LSA and LSS files are easy to edit.

What feature is missing the most?

first wrote: #Ability to get quota counts in survey. (Yes! So sad that we cant make "soft" quotas)
#Implementation of screen-outs without hacks. (Yes! Currently we should make a lot of quotas with quota limit=0 and sometimes 2 hidden questions for that quotas: equation + any single choice)
#Multiple Other specify in any question without hacks
#Page objects so that we can place more than one question on a page even in question by question layout. (Yes! Sub groups, page objects etc. At least a dirty hack like: if group name contain "magic" string questions from that group will be shown like in question by question mode)
#We are not able to use programming language loops (for,while,do while) in equation type question.

-Its hard to change default screens like "wrong token".
-More logs. "User XXX changed question YYY in survey ZZZ at TTT". And more userfriendly access to that logs.

What i dont like?
-Question's text cached after survey begining.
-Its pain when you need to show 49 questions on 49 screens and last 2 questions should be on the same screen.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by vkuzmin.
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #145220 by vkuzmin
in additional: i missing custom variables in the expression manager.

They can be separated from answers. We have tokens with syntax like TOKEN:ATTRIBUTE_1. How about variables with VAR:VARIABLE_NAME usage? We need counters sometime.

For example that expression in the equation question can check 3 previous questions with one variable:
Code:
{VAR:exam1=if(Q1.NAOK>10,1,0)}
{VAR:exam1=VAR:exam1+if(Q2.NAOK="Y",0,1)}
{VAR:exam1=VAR:exam1+if(Q3_SQ001="Y" AND Q3_SQ002="Y",1,0)}
{Q4quota=if(VAR:exam1>1,"Y","N")}
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by vkuzmin.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 3 months ago #145223 by holch
I don't get it, where would this variables come from? What are these variables?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #145225 by vkuzmin

holch wrote: I don't get it, where would this variables come from? What are these variables?

They don't exist its feature that i like to see in limesurvey.
  • holch
More
7 years 3 months ago #145229 by holch
Yes, I understand that. But what would be the different to using a custom token attribute TOKEN:ATTRIBUTE_1 which could be anything, compared to your VAR?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #145233 by vkuzmin

holch wrote: Yes, I understand that. But what would be the different to using a custom token attribute TOKEN:ATTRIBUTE_1 which could be anything, compared to your VAR?

You cannot modify token attributes. And i know that i can use count() in my example but variables make life easier in many ways. I do not insist that their use should look exactly as it is, it's just an idea for LS 3.0+
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 3 months ago #145234 by DenisChenu
About VAR: feature (and TOKEN:) feature.

I already think EM can be expandable by a way : something like this {PLUGINNAME:VARIABLE} or (maybe SESSIONARRAYNAME:VARIABLE, because TOKEN is a session var name).

It's just an idea

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
7 years 2 months ago #146411 by bewi
We just started to use LimeSurvey to enable customers to build up their own surveys.
LimeSurvey is a nice tool to manage surveys, it is easy to handle, so nearly everyone can build a survey.
It is responsive, you can use templates to give all surveys the matching CD.

but one big feature is missing and propably this will kick out LimeSurvey: There is no role-concept for admins. you have to set individual rights on individual basis (the user groups are only shortcuts for individual assignments).
Also it is very difficult to restrict access to the admin backend with an additional security layer like htaccess.

Another option we miss: export and import a survey (or template) with all belonging files (images, JS, CSS, ...) in one step/file.
Especially as our admin does not grant access by ssh/ftp to the server.
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 2 months ago #146501 by DenisChenu
About Permission : it's extandable, you can do 'What do you want for Permission" manual.limesurvey.org/BeforeHasPermission
It's really the most easy Plugin Event here.

About survey (or template) with all belonging files : teplate can be already export/import, and look at survey ressource to export/import survey files.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #149366 by Manal35
What features are missing the most?

- Response Rate in the Survey List View
- Standard Deviation and Arithmetic Mean in the Expert Mode
- Overall Arithmetic Mean Rating for all the Questions (To check the Overall Performance)
- Pages are too long when the reports are exported in pdf files. It should not be page by page. It is very tiring looking at the reports of LimeSurvey in pdf file.

Hope all this can be solved and available in the LimeSurvey as LimeSurvey is almost perfect.
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #157014 by jonsen
Most wanted features:

- Loops: Iterate through multiple objects (e.g. people in a family, jobs, variations of experimental questions)
- Lists: Allow 0 to maxInt() answers to a question (the user can add new lines or delete them - maybe eben copy/paste them in bulk?)

Both Loops and Lists share the need for a serialized data structure - maybe in an additional lime_survey_serialdata table which is referenced in lime_survey_xyz as a foreign key? That would also solve the problems with the column limitations of database engines.

- Custom questions: Consisting of only elements that already exist in LimeSurvey, custom question types are possible with some tricky jQuery and CSS to combine multiple questions on the same page, but a feature in LimeSurvey (e.g. to integrate a short text field as the "Other" option within an array) would be very nice.

- Following best pratices regarding codes/labels:
* Allow some form of symbol in the question code. Of course, there are some limitations because of LS's use of "_" and then R, Stata, SPSS and the likes. But maybe there is a symbol that could still be allowed? It would make it easier to have a good structure of question codes.
* Subquestions should be numbered or lettered by default, but using 5 characters just to differentiate between SQ001 and SQ002 is a bit overkill. And the protected "_" symbol still allowes to make a clean cut between question and sub-question code.
* And the most important regarding the coding: ALWAYS use numerics as default for answer options. Almost all statistical software is based ón numerical variables for statistical analysis and strings need to be recoded and then the variable type changed if the survey was not set up with this in mind. Also, software like Stata does not allow to label strings - therefore the labels get lost on the way there.

Finally, one thought: Could queXML be integrated in a way that allows a DDI codebook to be generated directly from the LimeSurvey GUI?

Source: Many, many surveys in Social Sciences

THANK YOU developers and the whole community for such an amazing project!
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by jonsen.
More
6 years 7 months ago #157015 by Ben_V
Hi Jonsen,

Thank you for your interesting & detailed suggestions...

About answer/question codes, I wrote a feature request a couple of weeks ago after trying to help the best I can in this discussion:
www.limesurvey.org/community/forums/can-...-answer-code-length/

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose