Mail rate limiter and counter

More
1 year 7 months ago #130779 by ttenbergen
ttenbergen created the topic: Mail rate limiter and counter
Hosting providers impose limits on mail rates. They don't show up in the specs when you choose a provider. Limesurvey doesn't cope well. It used to be that the messages might just never get there, with no error given (shared hosting environement about a year ago, may be fixed to give error now?). But even now that we are on a VPS I only found out when we went over that there is a, in my mind, ridiculously low limit. Then again, spam is a problem and I don't blame the hosting guys for putting limits.
It would be nice, though, if there was a way in Limesurvey to work with this. I would find it useful to have a counter per time unit (dreamhost has limits per hour and per day, I believe). I would find it even more useful if there was also a way to set a limit over which additional emails get queued for later send, ideally with an error msg. That's a bit bigger, I realize, so even if a counter or even a plain log became available that allows an admin to monitor and shape mailouts that would be great.

I am not the only one with this problem, here is a list of some of the forum entries that would likely be addressed by this:
www.limesurvey.org/forum/installation-a-...14-send-email#124702
www.limesurvey.org/forum/can-i-do-this-w...vites-per-day#117599
www.limesurvey.org/forum/german-forum/10...minder-emails#129299

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #130783 by holch
holch replied the topic: Mail rate limiter and counter
The problem is, that the emails probably get transmitted fine to the email server. From there things are on the server and for Limesurvey emails have been sent. Your host would have to provide you with the information, when you run into the limit.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

More
1 year 7 months ago #130784 by ttenbergen
ttenbergen replied the topic: Mail rate limiter and counter
I agree, can't rely on anything outside of Limesurvey to "behave". That's why I thought having a count in Limesurvey, and a rate limiter in Limesurvey, would be helpful. I could see how many emails have been sent out recently when problems arise, and then lower the limit accordingly.

More
1 year 7 months ago #130791 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: Mail rate limiter and counter
Plugin :beforeTokenEmail

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .

More
1 year 7 months ago #130863 by ttenbergen
Does such a plugin exist? I could not find it under manual.limesurvey.org/Available_third_party_plugins
Further search gave me manual.limesurvey.org/BeforeTokenEmail . That looks like it might be... maybe a description of tools available for development? I don't know what to do with your posting, could you please clarify?

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #130865 by DenisChenu
:side:

ttenbergen wrote: .... I don't know what to do with your posting, could you please clarify?

You're right .....

I want to say :
No, not actually.

A plugin can be done (don't exist actaully) using beforeTokenEmail event.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by DenisChenu.

More
1 year 7 months ago #130869 by ttenbergen
Thanks for clarifying that. I feel a little intimidated by the idea of making my own plugin. I am intrigued by codelogic.ws/2015/12/07/limesurvey-plug-in-hello-world/ though, so maybe I will need to dig into this. Time, time time...

More
1 year 7 months ago #130871 by DenisChenu
Hi,

A lot of example plugin : git.framasoft.org/groups/SondagePro-LimeSurvey-plugin

I don't think i have one using beforeTokenEmail actually ... sorry

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now