Automatically create and join additional SQL tables if survey is too big

More
1 year 8 months ago #129884 by litfincq
litfincq created the topic: Automatically create and join additional SQL tables if survey is too big
Hi All,

I have had the need to create a massive survey (~~3500 questions/subquestions, let's not get into why) which is, of course, too big for the underlying SQL to deal with. (I'm lead to believe that my server has PostgreSQL on it, but the admin is on vacation at the moment.) Regardless of the flavour of SQL in question, there is a limit of 1000ish columns in a table. In order to get LS not to have an issue, I've had to split my mega-survey into 9. (I could have got away with splitting it into 5, but the flow of the survey worked out such that that did not make sense.)

Instead of forcing users to try and figure out what the magic number of columns is where LS/SQL is happy, why not just automatically create sufficient tables and join them all using a sequential integer primary key? This (survey too big) has come up before in the forums, and it seems like a relatively simple fix compared to trying to make multiple surveys play nice together.

Yours,

Chris Litfin
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now