Report builder

More
1 year 8 months ago #129833 by ervit
ervit created the topic: Report builder
Hi all!

I am trying to apply LimeSurvey within a business context, but it is missing a critical functionality of response output. We need to output individual responses in a nice way and to have some degree of customization. Since this is a free software, I am considering paying the developers to implement these features and to make them part of LimeSurvey for all users (as a plugin/extension or as a core component). Obviously I have no idea how much this can cost, but I'm pretty sure it is technically possible. Here is what I need, in general terms:
  1. HTML output of an individual response or a series of reports for multiple responses;
  2. Option to export as PDF and DOC + email option, also to send as a notification when response is submitted (as an alternative to the rather ugly {ANSWERTABLE}
  3. Full Expression Manager integration (to allow extra functionality, conditioning etc.)
  4. Choice to skip unanswered questions and ability to see/highlight them (with separation between questions left unanswered and those that were not even shown due to survey logic).
  5. Generate an auto report - all questions+answers from any survey - in a nice format: probably the same presentation form as in the questionnaire (with same survey logic etc.). In other words:
  6. * groups;
    * answers to be shown under their questions, which is much more readable than a table;
    * excluding question and answer codes, {QID} etc.
    * links to files uploaded as responses to File Upload questions and integration of graphical images within the report;
    * array questions to be shown as tables.
  7. Custom Report Builder - organize fields in the report as you want with drag&drop interface from a field list, with warning that there are unused/invalid fields (e.g. when the questionnaire changes)
  8. Full CSS customization - probably inheriting the CSS styles of the survey template
  9. As a plugin freely available to all LimeSurvey users

Of course, I will need to know an estimate of the cost to know if we can justify the expense before we commit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moonlight7

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #129843 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: Report builder
Hi,

I have partially already done something like this for another client and i have to put on git.
BUT the system is different:
- Take the text of a "Text display" question type and generate a PDF
- Attach this pdf to the mails send to the user (any email generated by Expression Manager)
- Optionally save this PDF in a directory

Because :
1st : i think an automated system can never replace a manual system for report (for example : add "Excellent ! you rae very good" at start of the report, another example : add page separation when needed)
2nd : my client need a really specific report with lot of computation

Replacing AnswerTable can be done with only {QUESTIONHTML.question} inside email.

Redoing all you put is really a lot of day/work, then some can be adapted or not.

For contact : www.sondages.pro/a-propos/contact-en

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .

More
1 year 8 months ago #129845 by ervit
ervit replied the topic: Report builder
Hi,

Basically what I need is to see an individual response in a readable form (without question or answer codes):

Group 1 title
Question 1 text
Actual answer

Question 2 text
Actual answer
Group 2 title
Question X text
Actual answer

...and so on...

I am not using LimeSurvey as a mass survey tool, but rather as an advanced data gathering tool with individual respondents. I currently have no good way to see the answers a respondent has provided, except a table with all questions and sub-questions mixed in (impossible to quickly process, especially when question text has Expression Manager expressions like "Please tell us more about {AnswerToQuestion1}" or 2-dimensional array answers presented linearly and not in a table). This makes the software half as useful for my purpose than what it could be with those output options. I don't need any AI functionality to assess responses or calculate anything in there, as you implied in your points (1) and (2). I mostly want a report that would look just like the original survey, but showing answers, rather than just asking the questions, and on one page instead of grouped by group/questions. So, the most critical for me are points (1), (4) and (5) from my list, plus the on-demand option (I should get the report when I want it, not just when the respondent clicks the Submit button).

I can emulate this at a very basic level manually by pasting the response table into Excel and taking it from there with VBA and formulas, but this is a crude workaround that would need to be readjusted each time questions are changed/added/removed.

As I said, I know it may be too much to ask for free, so I am willing to negotiate a price, but first I need to know if this is doable and perhaps hear what other users might add.

I think having some sort of readable HTML output could increase the range of potential applications of LimeSurvey.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #129848 by DenisChenu
Hi,

In this case : what i do is (i think)
- Create a plugin using "newDirectRequest"
- Control permission for : usuer is admin and have right to see response OR user do the survey himself
- Take some code from github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/blob/ma...sController.php#L102
- Update and fix this code

We must "start the survey" because EM need a started survey (SESSION filled with answer) :)

All is doable and only a question of time and/or price

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by DenisChenu.

More
1 year 8 months ago #130042 by ervit
ervit replied the topic: Report builder
Denis,

Is exportCompleteAnswers your plugin? I installed it to see if it can help me but I can't see it in the Export page. The default Export options bug out on me, so I wanted to check this out, but I just can't find it (the plugin manager part works).

More
1 year 8 months ago #130056 by DenisChenu

ervit wrote: Denis,

Is exportCompleteAnswers your plugin? I installed it to see if it can help me but I can't see it in the Export page. The default Export options bug out on me, so I wanted to check this out, but I just can't find it (the plugin manager part works).

No ...

I just ask authorization to publish to my client. It's on GPL then he can do it, but i prefer to have a clear accpetance to do it myself.

Denis

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now